Pricing???

Decorating By moejoe Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm by moejoe

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

I have a lady who wants me to make a bridal shower cake for her daughter. She wants anywhere from 6 to 8 cakes on . Each cake will be on a table. All 6 inch cakes filled & frosted and each cake a different design . all the fall theme. she really didn't specify what she wants on each cake. I have no idea how much to charge her since she wants a price. plus she doesn't want to spend alot of money. the place does give her the cake in the package. Help, what should I do?

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 5

her budget does NOT set your price.

boy I sure wish it did! --- "hello, car mechanic, my budget is $100 for a complete brake job and engine overhaul." --- when the mechanic got done gasping for breath from laughing so hard, if not having already just hung up on me, I'm sure I'd learn my budget has nothing to do with cost of the job.

set your price. she takes it or leaves it.

for that much work, I'd be starting at $3+/serving and a 6" serves 12 so that's at least $36 each cake (I'd quote $40 for the PITA factor)

Start no lower than $240 for 6 cakes and $320 for 8. If she starts getting really picky about design -- then UP it

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Wants a lot of cakes, yes, that is a lot. But doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I would ignore that, as it's not your problem. Price them accordingly. My cakes are priced individually, as if they were not going to be grouped with anything else. Maybe, there would be a slight cut somewhere.....but really, why? I would be doing just as much work, my drums would all be decorated nicely, and I'd have to transport them. Not really much argument for discounts.

Simple design perhaps? But the cake is still cake in the end.

I mean, even if these were all 6" cakes, and there were eight of them, it would be starting at like $700, probably more for the headaches of all the individual cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 5

The problem people run into, when doing these centerpiece cakes, is the cost is surprising to them because they are buying more cake than they need.

A round table typcially seats 8 people. A 6" cake serves 12 (per the wilton wedding chart, which is what I go buy to determine PRICING). So the client is buying 25% more cake than she needs.

She might cut it into 8 pieces, but she is PAYING for the number of servings the cake is DESIGNED to serve.

So let's run the numbers. My price is $3.50/serving, but I'll use $3 just to keep it simple.

6" cake serves 12 x $3 each = $36 per cake x 8 tables = $288. And I agree with the above .... smaller cakes are a bigger pain the butt, so there's a PITA charge. Plus it IS more work. I can make a 2-tier cake to serve 60 people and I only have 4 pans to prep and wash. But eight 6" cakes means 16 pans to prep and wash.

Or she could order a "regular" cake to serve the 60-ish guests (8 tables x 8 guests per table) for about $180-$200.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks this does help. First she told my friend she wanted a 2 tier cake covered in pink fondant. ok that is easy. Then when I spoke to her she changed everything. She really doesn't know what she wants on each cake either. She just wants to all the fall theme and all cakes in chocolate whipcream frosting. Sometimes I really hate doing cakes for people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%