Teapot Cake Help

Decorating By Anita-Cakes Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm by ivymeister

Anita-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita-Cakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make a teapot cake and need some guidance. I baked the cake using the Wilton ball pan. Now how do I make the spout and handle? What should I use, fondant or gumpaste? I've worked with fondant but not gumpaste, but willing to learn for this project.

Also, I want to make a tea cup & saucer. How do I make these pieces? Should I use a mold or construct it from circles and rectangles?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Anita

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #2 of 6

I'd use gumpaste. It will dry harder and faster than fondant. You could also use a 50/50 combo or add tylose (or gumtex if you can't get tylose) to your fondant.

Here's a tutorial on how to make a teacup.
http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-gumpaste-teacup.html

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 6

I use 50/50 - plain fondant will not work well. Watch how big you make them, some folks make the spout and handle way too big and they don't look right. I also use toothpicks to secure mine into the cake (spagetti if it is a kids cake)

There is an excellent article in this months ACD for the teacup and saucer by Kim Morrison. She did a demo on it at ICES - and hers are gorgeous!

Anita-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita-Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

Oh thank you so much. This is very helpful. Love the website. Lot's to learn.

Questions: What is pastillage?

Anita

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 6

Pastillage is a sugar dough but I believe it dries faster than gum paste so you have to work even more quickly than you already have to with gum paste.

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 6

My teapot came out...ok. Its posted on my pictures. I wasnt happy, but not terribly disapointed either...it was harder than i thought. Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%