Can You Carry A Cake On A Plane?

Decorating By cuteums Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 4:33am by wildflowercakes

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 17

I know this is a stupid question but can you carry a cake on the plane? I'm guessing the answer is no with all of the security and stuff. Anyone ever get special permission? Just wondering if there was a way to get a cake from NY to FL in one piece.

16 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #2 of 17

I would love to know the answer to this question. I too have wondered if you can fly with cakes with the current security guidelines.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 17

Maybe. It's not a liquid. I know I carry a lot of snacks when we fly due to the kiddos. I'd call and ask.

azlecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlecakelady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #4 of 17

I have a customer who has successfully taken a 9"x13" cake to Las Vegas from DFW a couple of times. No problem! I don't know if you could take a bigger one onto the plane.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:31am
post #5 of 17

I bought a seat on SW for a fully decorated dummy a few years back. I had it hand inspected before boarding the plane. No real problems.

I've taken a fully decorated cake on a plane (2 years ago) and several undecorated layers (1 year ago) and I had no problems at all.

Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #6 of 17

I'd call the airline and ask them and/or the airport directly.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:33am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'd call the airline and ask them and/or the airport directly.

This.

I don't know about other airports, but you can get special permission to bring food items through security at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I know of folks who have taken cake and homemade cookies through security when they traveled for the holidays.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 17

hmm... this has me thinking. That is good to know. I think she is leaving out of a small airport so it just might work. I will definitely call and check with the airports. Thanks.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 17

Blakescakes...You made me chuckle...Sitting next to your dummy cake on the plane..."And how are you doing today." Coffee or tea?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 17

I carried on a fully-decorated two tier cake from NY to FL, but it was 3 yrs ago. I'd call the airlines first, there are more restrictions now...

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #11 of 17

Yes. As long as it's not filled or frosted. Once it's frosted or filled, it will really depend on the security officer manning the inspections. Some are stricter than others. Getting an okay from the airline doesn't necessarily mean the SO will let the cake through.

At least that is what a few airlines have told me (United, Northwest + a few international airlines).

snnelson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snnelson Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 17

I work at a travel agency, so I am very familiar with TSA regulations. TSA currently allows you to take baked goods such as pies, cakes, brownies, loafs, and cookies are allowed to be taken through security, but they will be subjected to extra screening. You are not allowed to pack anything with any type of ice pack.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 17

There's a new movie coming out: Samuel L. Jackson is dealing with Duff Goldman, and a whole plane-load of bakers, all on their way to show off their best work, all of whom have baked goods in their carry-on luggage:

CAKES ON A PLANE

"I have had it with all the #@$! cakes on this !##$! plane!"

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 17

I live in Australia and yesterday I took a 2 tier cake on board a 3 hour flight! But always check with your airport!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:10pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

There's a new movie coming out: Samuel L. Jackson is dealing with Duff Goldman, and a whole plane-load of bakers, all on their way to show off their best work, all of whom have baked goods in their carry-on luggage:

CAKES ON A PLANE

"I have had it with all the #@$! cakes on this !##$! plane!"

Too funny!!!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 17

Last year my niece brought a fully decorated cake from Portugal for her dad's birthday without a problem.

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:33am
post #17 of 17

I am a cake artist at heart but being a transportation security office supports my caking habit. Food items are aloud through the screening area. We have seen many decorated cakes go through the Wichita, Ks. airport. We do put them through the x-ray machine which has no effect on the cake. Check out the TSA.gov website it will tell you what you can and cannot take. The decorated cakes are not an issue but tubs of frosting or gels over the 3.4 oz. limit can't go through. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%