Fondant Mickey Ears

Decorating By momof2cutebugs Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm by kandu001

momof2cutebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2cutebugs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 9

i have to some minnie ears and i need to know if it would be better to make marshmallow fondant or use the wilton n tint it afraid couldn't get it black enuf and mix it with gumpaste

8 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #2 of 9

If your going to make your own it is best to start with a chocolate fondant (as dark as you can) and then add black to it. I would not start from white. If possible buy it or another option is to make modeling chocolate (candy clay) with dark chocolate and then add the black to that.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:41am
post #3 of 9

I made MFF that was nearly black just by substituting some PS for Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Plus it enhances the flavor.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 9

I made my Minnie Mouse ears (in my pics) from Black Satin Ice Fondant. I usually make my own fondant, but black is such a PITA to make that I decided to try Satin Ice for the first time. I can't stand the smell of it, but it worked great and made my life easier!

cupcakeryonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeryonline Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

I always keep a bucket of Satin Ice in black and one in red for these kinds of things. Much easier!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:18am
post #6 of 9

I made my minnie ears with pre dyed black fondant with a bit of gum trag in them. The black fondant I find is the softest icing and takes a lot longer to dry. I put a piece of dry spagetti in them as a support and to use to stick them into the head. I attached them with royal icing.

You can always paint over your dried ears with black colour and alcohol. Don't use black gel and alcohol, it tends to go green icon_cry.gif .

Good luck,
LL

kandu001 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 9

I put popsicle sticks in mine as support and to stick them on the cake.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

I put popsicle sticks in mine as support and to stick them on the cake.

That's a good idea, they also may be more sturdy given the roundness of the ears.

kandu001 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks. It worked like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%