How Do I Dry Gumpaste/fondant Mix Items Faster?

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm by -K8memphis

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
Well I made 100+ hearts 2 weeks ago to stick in cupcakes with a monogrammed initial of the bride and groom, and they were all fondant.
I figured that it would have been fine, but they didn't dry at all.

So, then I made them last night with 50% gum paste, and ideas on how to dry them faster?

I don't want them falling over in the cupcakes, I want them standing up straight. they will be stuck in buttercream icing.

Also would it be better to let the buttercream crust before I stick the hearts in as well??
Any help would be great!!!
TIA,
Jodi

3 replies
Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Jodi,

Sorry to hear they did not dry. You need a dry heat to dry them - a lamp light has good dry heat. If you have a lamp, remove the shade and sit them near the light. If you had mixed gum trag in it before hand they would have dried very quickly.

If you have a halogen spotlight, they work even better. You are probably safest to let the buttercream go crust to ensure they stay up. Alternatively, you could put them in and place a toothpick behind each one and allow them to dry upright. Remove the toothpicks just before you need to.

Best of luck,
Kim

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 4

I like to use straight fondant for things like this--anything short of roses and orchids and stuff like that--your hearts for example--because I also add flavor, raspberry for example--because while fondant as a cake covering is muy controversial--candy lovers love dried flavored fondant especially in a cute shape.

I knead in additional cornstarch--works great for me.

Also I use my warming drawer in my oven to help dry stuff. some decorators use food dehydrating units.

This purse is all straight fondant--see how thick the handle is--it's standing several inches tall. That's just dried fondant--holds great.

This bow is all fondant.

I can get loft and hold with thick or thin fondant--bow is fondant.

I just like it better (than adding gumpaste) because it eats better--it still retains some softness even though it gets plenty crisp and holds well.

You can place them in the cuppies anytime you want.

Ideas for you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

When I run something through my warming drawer--or on a very low like 150 degree oven--you get to the 150 degree temperature on the oven, turn it off and then and only then put your stuff in because the stuff will melt if you're not careful.

Wait for it to cool off.

Remove your stuff, get to the temp, repeat.

But I generally run my stuff in the warming drawer for two hour intervals, and let it cool off completley in between. It's very dry after the first two hours but to be sure I might cook it several times depending on the thickness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%