Gum Paste And Problems.

Decorating By sepi Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm by sepi

sepi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi.
I need some help with this topic. I used Wilton's Gum paste and when I mixed it, as seemed well. Followed instructions. I wanted to die the paste pink and so, proceeded to color it in sections which worked to get a uniform color after adding it all together. I placed the sections I did't work with in a bag to keep from drying. It did take me about 2 hours to achieve the color! thumbsdown.gif So when I went to roll out my gum paste to complete the design steps, it kept cracking. I could never get a smooth sheet to work with. I am assuming it's because it was too dry. Please help me as to how I remedy this situation. I have the remainder in a ziplock bag. How do I fix this. Please, please help. Thank-you.

6 replies
Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

Try massageing some crisco into it. If there are any bits that are still crusty, you can try and pick the bits out. If theres too much, You'll want to start over with new gumpaste. Just remember that it will crust over very quickly. Try dyeing it all at the same time. Please dont let it sit out uncovered. When its not in your hands it should be in a plastic bag or wrapped in plastic or both.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlachef

Try massageing some crisco into it. If there are any bits that are still crusty, you can try and pick the bits out. If theres too much, You'll want to start over with new gumpaste. Just remember that it will crust over very quickly. Try dyeing it all at the same time. Please dont let it sit out uncovered. When its not in your hands it should be in a plastic bag or wrapped in plastic or both.

Ditto this whole post.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #4 of 7

and just in case...don't leave it in sunlighticon_smile.gif I did a bunch of gumpaste roses and left them on my dining room table and went out and it was like four housr and didn't realize the sun came through the window as much as it did and they faded! Lesson learnedicon_smile.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

I used to use the Wilton gumpaste and was always having trouble with it cracking. I switched to fondant w/Tylose powder added. Love it. It is so much nicer to work with. Also, I always wrap my gumpaste in 2 layers of plastic wrap and then put in a zip lock bag. If I know I won't be using it again for quite a while, I put a light coat of shortening over it before wrapping it in plastic and then I use my vaccuum sealer. Works pretty good for keeping it fresh.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 7

While you are working (as long as your going to be using it pretty quickly) you can put the piece of gp you are not working with under a glass/cup. It's a lot easier doing it this way then to keep wrapping it.

I also use fondant with tylose added.

sepi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thank-you everybody for your suggestions and help. I succeeded with the gumpaste. I will have to try to find Tylose. That was the problem and time issues. So, I will have to find Tylose online and it will hopefully make it easier next time. I do appreciate all the help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%