I Am So Fed Up With Customers Wanting To Dicker My Prices

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm by Spuddysmom

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakestyleIN

She "complimented" me by saying, " Oh for sure I would much rather pay you $30 for this cake vs. the $30 Sam's club charges for their sheet cake! ...."

Me: "Oh darlin'! If you think you're EVER getting this cake for a lousy thirty bucks, you ARE crazier than you look!" (Smile sweetly, bat eyelashes, have fun watching her try to backpedal!)

CakestyleIN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakestyleIN Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #32 of 58

LOL Indydebi! Yeah, I told her I had over $30 invested in that cake not including my time...... I think it's safe to say if and when I do this as more than a hobby she will not become one of my customers!! icon_biggrin.gif Not sure she could ever understand what all is involved.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #33 of 58

Indy you need to be on a show like CakeBoss (not that I'm real thrilled with that show, too fake)....

Only name it something like "Cake Calls" and just show idiots calling in and Indy sweetly replying over the phone.

HAHA

It would be funny to us...educational to the rest of the world!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #34 of 58

Goodiegodess don't let that womans remarks get to you because you make great cakes and are well on your way with your skills.There will be plenty of others that will recognise your talent and what is worth.
Let her go buy the sugar and flour see what she can come up with. If she does really well get her to post it on here then we can ask for a step by step tutorial an how to make a bespoke cake for 80 people with just sugar and flour.She could publish it and make a small fortune.

Its a bit like the cake on my avator that I did as a freebie for a raffle for my daughters college course. The tutor told her that the cake had raised over 68 quid to date and that I would be chuffed as that must be the most expensive cake I had ever made icon_confused.gif and that I probably wouldn't have expected it to have raised that much. Had I have been a professional I would have charged about 80 quidfor goodness sake.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Indy you need to be on a show like (not that I'm real thrilled with that show, too fake)....

Only name it something like "Cake Calls" and just show idiots calling in and Indy sweetly replying over the phone.

HAHA

Ooooh, "Cake Calls" kind of a "dear Abby" reality show with Indy giving folks a real piece of reality - love it!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #36 of 58

Ok Indy....let's give ya' a mock call list.

"Hi there, like I really overspent on my wedding shoes. I had to have gold plated heels, so ya know, whaddya do? What kind of deal can you give me for a sit down filet mignon dinner for 200 people? I think I have like, $500 left to spend on food." icon_biggrin.gif

Caller 2:

"Yeah, I saw this cake: http://www.carlosbakery.com/Portals/0/Wedding%20Elegant%20Cake%20rsz.jpg and I have to have it for my wedding. My mom makes cakes and she says you should be able to do it for a couple of hundred bucks. I should be having anywhere between 200 and 300 guests. But I know not everyone eats cake, so....what can you do me for me??" icon_biggrin.gif

So....let's hear it. Don't hold back. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #37 of 58

OMG! I never even dreamed of having a minimum. You people are genius. I am custom and home base, but I only charge per serving and if buttercream or fondant. I realize I am way underpriced, but I started doing this for fun not money; however, now I am so busy, I am going to start doing things differently. I really like the minimum price and size idea.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycakes

OMG! I never even dreamed of having a minimum. You people are genius. I am custom and home base, but I only charge per serving and if buttercream or fondant. I realize I am way underpriced, but I started doing this for fun not money; however, now I am so busy, I am going to start doing things differently. I really like the minimum price and size idea.

Pretty cakes indeed. Thank God you found this thread.

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ok Indy....let's give ya' a mock call list.

"Hi there, like I really overspent on my wedding shoes. I had to have gold plated heels, so ya know, whaddya do? What kind of deal can you give me for a sit down filet mignon dinner for 200 people? I think I have like, $500 left to spend on food." icon_biggrin.gif

"For $2.50/person, I can give you the bone out of the steak."

Quote:
Quote:

Caller 2:

"Yeah, I saw this cake: http://www.carlosbakery.com/Portals/0/Wedding%20Elegant%20Cake%20rsz.jpg and I have to have it for my wedding. My mom makes cakes and she says you should be able to do it for a couple of hundred bucks. I should be having anywhere between 200 and 300 guests. But I know not everyone eats cake, so....what can you do me for me??" icon_biggrin.gif

"For $200, I can give you the number of my closest competitor. I"ve been looking for a way to put her out of business and an order like this would pretty much shut her down. Or .... I can run next door to the Dollar General and wipe out their inventory of off-brand Ding Dongs, which sounds like something that would be very appropriate for your wedding.""

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #40 of 58

Ahhhhhh ha ha ha! Yep, perfect!

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #41 of 58

LMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #42 of 58

Threads like this make me so glad I gave up trying to do cakes for money on the side. I put the word around to friends, family, and co-workers that I would be more than happy to do cakes, but my minimum starting price is $65. No one at work has asked me for a cake in well over a year, but that's because another co-worker will make any cake, no matter the size, for no more than $40. She just does straight box mix and uses pre-made icing. Un-ironically, she works at the Wal-Mart bakery part time and only knows how to decorate according to their standards. Oh well...

Otherwise, they'll just have to wait until I feel like making one as a gift... meaning I *offer* to make it because I want to. NO asking me to make one as a gift. That's the quickest way to insure that I won't do it!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #43 of 58

I wish that all these cake shows popping up on television would tell their audiences how much they charge for these creations they're making. That might put people in the right mind-set when they call you and ask you to recreate them. They wouldnt be quite so sticker shocked.

bestwishescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bestwishescakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #44 of 58

I have a minimum order of $35.00 which is for character themed pans. I usually charge per person on "fancy" cakes. I am new at this so I am not sure if I am overpricing (don't really think so) or not charging enough.
(more than likely) I did call a local Bakery (the only REAL bakery around) to see what they priced their fondant cakes at and was told for a 10 inch round, 2 layer, it would be $126.00 and I had to bring my own fondant! Yikes.

Had a woman bring her 13 year old to my house to order her birthday cake--of course she had seen one on Cake Boss and wanted that. I told her no problem, here's my price for that cake. I wrote up the invoice and handed it to mom and she says "I thought it would only be about $60.00"
"I forgot my checkbook and will bring your deposit tomorrow." (I had already told her on the phone before she came out what my per person price was for BC and fondant. This cake was to feed 50 people and to be done in fondant) One hour later she calls and says her new husband has hit the roof and she has to cancel. I was actually embarrassed for her and felt sorry for the 13 year old.

bestwishescakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #45 of 58

I think I will get the phone numbers for Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes and even Dallas area cake shops ( I live 3 hours east) and have them available for the folks who don't get it!

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwishescakes

.... and I had to bring my own fondant! Yikes.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That cracks me up! Maybe they'll take the next step and start making customers bring their own cake batter .... and then bring their own already-baked-cake! icon_lol.gif

bestwishescakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #47 of 58

I swear, sometimes I think this planet is an asylum for insane aliens!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Indy you need to be on a show like (not that I'm real thrilled with that show, too fake)....

HAHA

Ooooh, "Cake Calls" kind of a "dear Abby" reality show with Indy giving folks a real piece of reality - love it!!!

Only instead of "Cake Calls" it should be called "Cake Balls", because that's what some of these looney toons have for asking for a discount! (And that's what Indy has - in a good way - for telling them where to go!)

Kitagrl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #49 of 58

My orthodontist lady just went to a wedding and said they had pastries inside these boxed tiers for "cake" and that there wasn't nearly enough pastries for everyone....said her (teen/adult) kids did not even get any dessert.

They all know I'm the "cake lady" (brought them cookies a couple weeks ago) and I told them its interesting that its quite common for people to pay TONS of money for the wedding and then skimp on cake. They couldn't believe it..said their generation the cake and dress were the two main parts of the wedding.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #50 of 58

Great thread. Had to jump in here. Everyone has great points. There is another one going now too.....What am I worth? There are a lot of great points on how we value ourselves, our talent and not to be an "under charger" Think I'm going to have Wal-mart bakery number on speed dial from now on, dial and hand them the phone! Ha!

bestwishescakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #51 of 58

That's a great idea!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #52 of 58

I think Indy should start her own cake advice column. Call it "Cake Balls" and readers can write in for advice on how to deal with unruly customers.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

Great thread. Had to jump in here. Everyone has great points. There is another one going now too.....What am I worth? There are a lot of great points on how we value ourselves, our talent and not to be an "under charger" Think I'm going to have Wal-mart bakery number on speed dial from now on, dial and hand them the phone! Ha!

No, have the speed dial to one of the more high end bakeries in town instead of Wal-Mart. Otherwise it'll backfire. Wal-Mart will just tell them a cake is worth $24.95, and therefor that's all you are worth too. icon_sad.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I think Indy should start her own cake advice column. Call it "Cake Balls" and readers can write in for advice on how to deal with unruly customers.

Great idea!

As a beginner I am craving for experience. I just charged $50 dollars for a cake where the ingredients cost $39 and 12 hours of my time to make.

Needless to say, my minimum price is now $100. Take it or leave it.
They're called kitchens, not sweatshops.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #55 of 58

CeeTee you are so right. When they want a "Good" cake they need to pay. Otherwise they can have that cardboard and cream from Wal-mart!

Jen80---great point, it's not a sweat shop---even though it feels like it some times.

bestwishescakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #56 of 58

Need to vent a little here..... Had a lady email last night with a picture of a cake she wanted done for her son who had joined the Army and was on his way to boot camp. The cake was camo with a 3d soldier on top--she wanted to feed 75 to begin with and wanted it done in fondant. I gave her my price. Then she decided she needs to feed 100 and wanted to add a prayer to the cake. Ok so this is the price now. Well, she calls this morning and says "I don't think I can pay that for this cake--what will the BC price be? " I told her and then she wants to know how I can do this cake cheaper? Well I can't you see. So she says she needs to think about it. Calls me back and says "My sister used to decorate cakes for Brookshire's and she says she can do this for me for free" Well get after that! Thanks for wasting my time with this, why didn't you call your sister in the FIRST place!!!!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #57 of 58

Just got an email today wanting a 3D cake in a certain shape, for only 8 people, by next Wednesday. haha.

Sorry, going on vacation. For real! Glad to have that answer this time!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #58 of 58

It must have been mentioned on a previous thread but if not... if you feel bad about charging $5 pr serving of your fondant covered, intricately decorated masterpiece go over to check out Buddy's (Cake Boss) website on Carlosbakery.com and read the FAQs..... cakes start at $8 per serving and the totally gorgeous ones we see on TV or mags go from $12 - 18 a serving!! How's that for a reality check when clients are dickering...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%