How Many Cups Of Batter For A 20X12 Sheet Cake...

Decorating By lolobell Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm by tigerhawk83

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 6

can anyone tell me how many cups of batter it takes to fill a 20x12 sheet cake pan!?!?!

thank you

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:08am
post #2 of 6

If I had to guess I'd say approx 15. The Wilton guide does not have that exact size listed but I took the 2 closest sizes (one larger, one smaller) and averaged them out.

What I would do if I wanted a more accurate way to measure I would use water. I would measure cups of water into the pan and however many cups of water I put in (to desired height ie 2/3 full) that should be how many cups of batter I would need for that specific pan.

HTH!

icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 6

I never measure batter by cups, but the 12x18 pan takes 3 Betty Crocker cake mixes, so if you have a 12x20, I might add the equivalent of another half mix.

Where did you find such an odd shaped pan? Two of those pushed together would be good for a 120-serving sheet cake. Just slightly bigger than 100 servings which would cover those customers who want cake for 100 but cut them a little bigger! thumbs_up.gif

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

thank you both so much.

and indydebi... your buttercream is all i ever use... but i was wondering if you have a chocolate version?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

thank you both so much.

and indydebi... your buttercream is all i ever use... but i was wondering if you have a chocolate version?

When I need chocolate, I make the Hershey recipe on the side of the cocoa can. It crusts really well, too. Otherwise, just sub out some p.sugar and in some cocoa until you get the color/taste you want. You know .... until it looks right! icon_biggrin.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

Easy way to figure volume -- fill your cake pan with water to the level you want the cake batter to fill. Pour out the water into a measuring cup or cups - the amount of water you have is the amount of batter you need. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%