Ices 2010

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 12:00am by andpotts

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #31 of 50

IF you don't pay the convention fee, they would have to pay to get into the cake room, ($10 per day this year) pay for entering the vendors room ($50. per day this year) and the banquet (was $75. per person this year). They would not be permitted into any of the demos/classes either.

Basically, they could stay at the hotel with you - but not really participate with the ICES stuff unless you pay the extra fees.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #32 of 50

Thanks Loucinda! Thats what I was looking for but couldnt find.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDesigns

I would love love love to bring my fiance though and was wondering if it would be an additional charge for him to come to the convention with me. Would I have to register him at the $330 price to be able to have him with me every step of the way?

You can get a vendor room pass for $50 and/or a cake display room pass for $10, but in order to attend demos, the banquet, membership breakfast & meeting, etc., you must be a fully registered attendee--no one can just tag along for company without having paid for a registration. Anyone trying to enter events or demos without an official registration badge is denied admission.

It's cheaper to register when your an ICES member and it's cheaper to register early.

ICES Membership

Regular/Domestic: $60 per year.
International: $75 per year.
Associate: $25 per year. Associate Member resides with or works for Charter or Regular Members and uses the same address. Does not receive a newsletter or the Representative's mailing, but is entitled to all other membership rights and benefits.
Three-Year Membership Plan: $156 for Regular/Domestic; $201 for International.

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #34 of 50

Another thing - there were quite a few folks who waited till the last minute to join ICES so they could register for the convention, and they hit some snags this year. If you are thinking you want to do convention in 2010, I suggest you join ICES in advance - that way you are already a member and don't have the hiccups that may come if you try to do both at the same time.

I volunteered in the cake room and at registration this year, and there were several folks who were NOT happy that they couldn't just "bring" their friend, child, spouse etc. in the cake/vendors room with them.

IMO - it was well worth the money spent for me! icon_biggrin.gif

SJ169 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #35 of 50

Thanks Loucinda I will register my mom as well so she can come to everything with me.

BlakesCakes - do you know if I could just purchase my mom the associate membership intead of the regular or international one?

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #36 of 50

Thank you all! Very informative. Haha I went home and discussed it with my fiance and he really does NOT want to go (go figure) so I guess I've saved some money there! Now to find someone to go with. I am generally an extremely open person although when I am doing something new I tend to be a little shy and reserved until I am comfortable with my new found situation.

I live in northern California, just north of Sacramento. So anyone who plans to attend and needs someone to bunk with or would like to carpool on the way down I am willing. I'll for sure have a cake in the back but that won't block the other 3 seats icon_wink.gif I really really REALLY want to do this and am starting to pull overtime at work right now so I can! Sooooooo excited!!!!!!

SJ169 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #37 of 50

Hmm well I just compared flying and driving lol i will definatley be flying! its a 22hr drive for me...i dont think i could handle it icon_biggrin.gif

Now I just need to convince my mom to come with me and then i wont be alone icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #38 of 50

Uusually when it gets closer - they get the website up and running - there will be a link for those that are looking for room mates or car pooling folks. You can post on there and possibly hook up with someone else who is looking for the same thing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Another thing - there were quite a few folks who waited till the last minute to join ICES so they could register for the convention, and they hit some snags this year. If you are thinking you want to do convention in 2010, I suggest you join ICES in advance - that way you are already a member and don't have the hiccups that may come if you try to do both at the same time.

A month after you register you will start getting the newsletters that will have information about the convention in it as well. So the earlier you register they earlier you start seeing all the information on it, what the demo's are and so on. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

BlakesCakes - do you know if I could just purchase my mom the associate membership intead of the regular or international one?

Reading from the website, I don't see where it would be a problem, as long as she uses your address for all forms and correspondence with the organization--and doesn't mind not receiving mailings. Of course, she still has to pay the registration fee (about $200 if you register early, I believe), but it is a savings, nonetheless.

We considered it for my DH, but since he doesn't really want to attend the breakfast & banquet, classes, shopping, or demos, it didn't seem worth the $, especially the cost of registration. He gets a quick glimpse of the cake room at drop-off & pick-up--that's enough cake eye candy for him.

HTH
Rae

SJ169 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #41 of 50

Thanks BlakesCakes.

Ya I talked it over with my mom and if she does come she will bring my little brother and they will do other stuff. But she doenst know if they will come...so I may just come by myself (eeek first trip alone!)

But I am sure I will meet alot of people from CC so I wont be totally alone

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif lol i was already checking out flights and everything..so excited! just need to start saving icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:52pm
post #42 of 50

If you pack your schedule with demos, attend the breakfast & banquet, and try to squeeze in some shopping, you won't even care who you bring with you because you'll only see them when you're brushing your teeth to go to bed at night! icon_lol.gif

Honestly, a fully packed schedule leaves barely enough time for lunch and to grab a piece of free cake at the hospitality suite each day.

This is how I do Convention. I try to have dinner with my DH every day, but I go to sleep early because I want to get breakfast and be on time for my first demo. I shop during my breaks between demos and if time allows, run back to my room to drop off my purchases. If we want to sightsee, we try to schedule a few days before and/or after Convention ends.

Rae

SJ169 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #43 of 50

Thanks for the tip BlakesCakes..I will be sure to do that icon_biggrin.gif

Do you sign up for demo's ahead of time or do you just kinda show up?

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #44 of 50

I sign up the day that registration opens. If you don't, the most popular ones will be sold out. Hands on classes are always sold out, but they're raising the price this year and so there may be more openings. You may get a wild card at Convention that will get you in, but you may not.

I buy my wild cards at convention and then turn them in for extra demos that fit into my pre-chosen schedule.

HTH
Rae

SJ169 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #45 of 50

Perfect! How much do the classes normally cost? or roughly cost ?

Sorry for all the questions icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #46 of 50

Demos are $7 each and you get to choose 8 when you register. Each one runs about 50 mins.

Hands on were $50 for 2+hrs., but I believe that they will be $75 this coming year so that demonstrators can get a few more $$s--as they provide 95% of the things that you need for the class.

The breakfast meeting and banquet are included in registration, as I recall, but you can buy extra tickets when you register or wait until you get there--somebody always posts tickets for sale on the communication boards near registration or demo ticket sales.

Rae

SJ169 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #47 of 50

Thanks soo much for the all info!! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

me too!

Sharon, are you teaching, visisting, or having a booth?

booth and demo!

SJ169 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:46pm
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

Donnagardner wrote:
sugarshack wrote:
me too!

Sharon, are you teaching, visisting, or having a booth?

booth and demo!

ooo im so excited!! I cant wait!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #50 of 50

I just recently joined ICES, I'm so excited, hope I can manage to make it to CA next year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%