Smooth Cake.

Decorating By NJMOMMIE Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm by three4thequeen

NJMOMMIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJMOMMIE Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 13

Hi All.
I made a 9'' strawberry cake last night and also made my first homemade MMF to go with it(yay me!) for the first time. My problem is that I only got as far as icing the cake with BC and left it in the fridge. Now im starting to think that because I didnt so such a great job with icing the cake that my MMF will be "bumpy" looking on top of my cake.
How can I get the cake to have that smooth look before applying the MMF now that the icing is rock hard?

Thx in advance.
icon_redface.gif

12 replies
newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 13

You might can let the cake come to room temperature & try using the paper towel method with you warm hand to smooth it. Good Luck!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 13

as long as you crumb coat isnt rock solid when you cover it (and if it is, it may also be dry, which may mean problems with your fondant not sticking), it doesnt matter if your crumb coat isnt perfectly smooth. the smoother it is, the easier for you, but when you smooth out the fondant, it will smooth the bc too (to a certain extent!).
xx

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 13

You can always use the hot spatula method to smooth your cake down. I usually find it works best when the cake is cold or harder.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 13

You could also try using a fondant smoother to press the bumps down. Let us know what worked best.

NJMOMMIE Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 13

oh ok... I'll try all methods and let you know.. thx ladies!

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 13

Just so you know - not all CC'ers are "ladies". I've got some great cake decorating tips from guys, too.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 13

what works for me is a high density roll from the paint store.

NJMOMMIE Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 13

oops.. sorry Im sure there are some guys on here too.
ok so I left the cake warm at room temp and used the hot spatula method..worked like a charm!
the only problem is that when I was covering my cake with the MMF I had the darnest time making it stick to the sides of the cake... what I ended up doing was the old "nip n tuck" which left me with folds at the base, and I had to then use a strip of fondant as a border to cover up the mistake....is there a specific reason why my MMF wouldnt stick to the sides of the cake?

thx in advance CC

NJMOMMIE Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 13
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 13

if the bc is to dry on the outside, that can happen. a very, very gentle misting with water can help. but there is a limit to how much it sticks, it usually isnt like glued down.
and your cake looks really good!
xx

NJMOMMIE Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 13

Thx Brincess_b! I'll keep that in mind for next time...

Thank you.. My daughter took it to camp today to celebrate their last day..

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 13

I always do a fine water mist before I put the MMF on. It probably didn't stick because the hot spatula actually seals the buttercream (because it melts it). Awesome way to smooth it, but probably a fine mist would have helped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%