Makeshift Dragees!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

I could not believe it but I forgot to order dragees for a cupcake order for today.... anyway I searched but of course by the time I remembered, the bakery supply place was closed and grocery stores no longer carry them!

SO I took the Wilton jumbo non pareils and then made a thick paint out of highlighter dust, and put handfuls of them in there and rolled them around, and let dry.

They were not as shiny as the real dragees, but I was happy they worked. Its in my photos....so anyway thought I'd share, if anyone else gets in the same fix, or even you folks in California!!!

5 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #2 of 6

thanks for the tip i wonder if it would work with red

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 6

I only keep white fondant pearls on hand and I often custom color them for dragees.

Please be aware that gold and silver Highlighter dusts are specified for decoration only----neither should be eaten. There are other gold and silver dusts that are edible.

Rae

Kitagrl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I only keep white fondant pearls on hand and I often custom color them for dragees.

Please be aware that gold and silver Highlighter dusts are specified for decoration only----neither should be eaten. There are other gold and silver dusts that are edible.

Rae

I know but regular silver dragees are not considered edible either so I figured it was an even trade.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 6

True, but many people eat them anyway.

Since there are now edible metallic dusts out there, I just don't want anyone who doesn't know to come along, read this post, and figure that they can use the silver/gold highlighter dusts on edible products.

Rae

Kitagrl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

True, but many people eat them anyway.

Since there are now edible metallic dusts out there, I just don't want anyone who doesn't know to come along, read this post, and figure that they can use the silver/gold highlighter dusts on edible products.

Rae

Right, many people eat them anyway...so if they order something with dragees on it, it doesn't matter if they are real ones, or made with highlighter dust, they are both considered nonedible and are being eaten anyway. LOL.

I see your point though, of course its good that we understand completely what we are doing when we decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%