How Strange!

Business By CakesbyBecca Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 12:31am by cylstrial

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

I had an experience yesterday that I hope you cake professionals can explain to me because it didn't make sense. I placed an order for 200 cupcakes a few weeks ago because I had agreed to donate them to a charity and then realized I just didn't have the time to make them myself. icon_redface.gif Two days ago, I get an email saying 50% of the total is due, so I go to pay it yesterday. I ask her if I can just pay the whole thing instead of paying it in two payments, since I won't be there when she delivers and it just seemed easier to me. She hemmed and hawed, saying she could only deposit half, etc until I finally told her I would rewrite the check for half the amount and she said she would bill me for the rest after delivery. Why would she not take all the payment two weeks before the date the cupcakes were due? Is there some legal reason she can't do that? I'm confused.

6 replies
dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 7

Interesting for sure. I have no idea but would like to knoe the answer
Tracy

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 7

depends upon the laws in "somewhere sunny"

local law may prohibit payment if full before services are rendered in full.

other than that, yep, seems strange.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 7

Only two weeks before the due date DOES sound strange.

However, on my caterings, I don't like to be paid in full too far in advance. Had someone who wanted to pay in full for a large wedding a year in advance if I'd give them a discount, using the reasoning of how I'd have use of the money for a year.

I explained the falicy (sp?). I dnt' get to use the money for a year. I get to use it to pay this month's rent and then it's gone. Then a year from now, I gotta find the money to buy the supplies I need for their wedding.

(And as hubby said, "If getting to use the money for a year is such a good deal, why don't they keep the money and use it for a year themselves?")

But being paid in full 2 weeks before the event is pretty standard, isn't it?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 7

Congratulations on your 20k post Debi party.gifprincess.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

Sounds like they normally have half now/ half later, and the person behind the counter needed to do as the boss said to do. She may not have had the authority to take all of the money at once.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Congratulations on your 20k post Debi party.gifprincess.gif

Wow! She is so far out there - that's awesome!!

To the OP - that is strange. The only thing that I can think is that she's afraid that someone will forget that you pre-paid for the entire order, because they aren't used to it. ?? Who knows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%