Mixer Advice ....

Decorating By lucia Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:34am by lovetheduns

lucia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucia Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 27

My mixer no longer works and I need to buy a new one asap.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what I should be looking for.

I would dearly love a Kitchen Aid ( I have heard so much about them) but I think they may be a little out of my price range.

TIA - Lucia

26 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 27

Hi Lucia. I'm sorry to hear that your mixer died. I am not sure how much baking you do but you should try to invest in a KitchenAid if you do a fair amount. I feel as though my KitchenAid is worth its weight in gold icon_biggrin.gif Check the circulars for Macy's because they are always having big sales on electronics....I got a 11 cup Cuisinart food processor for $110!!!

HTH

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 27

I love my Kitchen-Aidicon_smile.gif

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 27

I bought my Kitchen Aid on a big sale at Khol's, plus I used a coupon, and there was a mail in rebate to go along with it! You can also use those coupons you get in the maill for Bed Bath & Beyond.
icon_smile.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 27

Save your $$$ for a Kitchen Aid, it is so worth it and you will be so glad that you did. Look in the circulars for a good deal. It also looks so good in my kitchen - brings it to another level. I love my Kitchen Aid, I named her Kay (K-A).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 27

Check out some refurbished KA mixers at the outlet store in their website.

You can also check Craigslist.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:55am
post #7 of 27

I would also try ebay. I bought my KA mixer on ebay about 4 years ago, and it is the best thing I ever bought for the kitchen! I make everything in it, from baked goods to mashed potatoes. Don't think you have to pay the full retail price to get your hands on one....ebay, and the outlet store are both good options for getting reliable mixers at a much lower cost.

GL!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #8 of 27

DH got me my KA for Xmas from Walmart. It's the "Classic" series (ie. not the most recent or with the most gadgets) but it suits my current purposes fine. I think it was on sale, too, for about Cdn$230. I was using my mother's old Braun mixer (we call it the Bread Machine because that's all she ever made with it). After 30 years, still worked well, but I needed a more recent (reliable) one.

Like the others have said, I wouldn't be without my KA now.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:38am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Check out some refurbished KA mixers at the outlet store in their website.

You can also check Craigslist.

You can also check their closeout items. They are brand new and come with a 1 year warranty. The refurb come with 6 months although they could still be new but been used as a "display model".

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:52am
post #10 of 27

Ditto the others on the KA - and get the 6 quart if you can.

There was some discussion several weeks ago about whether to make fondant in the KA or not, some fearing that the growly grinding sound indicated the motor was working too hard. Well, mine makes that growly noise when making fondant, and emits an oily smell, but it does the same as it goes through heavy bread dough, double batches of chocolate chip cookie dough, on and on. So far, not a problem with anything I've put ini it. I believe you could mix cement with the things!

Only thing better than a 6-QT KA would be a 20-QT Hobart!! And that is WAAAY out of my price range!!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:53am
post #11 of 27

I love my KA. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% discount coupon. I also went to Target and bought a second bowl. I mix everything in mine too. Never tried fondant in it but it really does good mixing sausage balls. My husband came up with that idea, then all you do is roll them up. Good luck on mixer shopping.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:54am
post #12 of 27

I love my KA. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% discount coupon. I also went to Target and bought a second bowl. I mix everything in mine too. Never tried fondant in it but it really does good mixing sausage balls. My husband came up with that idea, then all you do is roll them up. Good luck on mixer shopping.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:28am
post #13 of 27

I just bought my Majestic Yellow Kitchenaid (I call her Buttercup) and can't stop looking at her, I'm in love!! In Australia they are never on special or so the snooty shop lady said so I bought mine online for $100 less, ha ha shop lady, take that. Of course, now I have to totally redo my kitchen to match.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:30am
post #14 of 27

I just gt my KA Artisan through Amazon. It was $269 free ship, no tax and a $40 rebate to boot. Watch for specils.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #15 of 27

Has anyone else named their KA or is it just me and vww104?

Lita829 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

I would also try ebay. I bought my KA mixer on ebay about 4 years ago, and it is the best thing I ever bought for the kitchen! I make everything in it, from baked goods to mashed potatoes. Don't think you have to pay the full retail price to get your hands on one....ebay, and the outlet store are both good options for getting reliable mixers at a much lower cost.

GL!

Yup...that is were I got mine. I paid $299 with free shipping for the Pro 600 mixer and it was brand new...the box had never been opened! I still have the warranty on it!!

lucia Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 27

I am looking on ebay and Amazon - thanks for advice - but was wondering if anyone could please tell me the difference between the Professional series 5, Pro Series 5+ and the Pro Series 600.

TIA - Lucia

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 27

Got to www.kitchenaid.com. They have a very cool mixer comparison feature on the website. It comes up first thing when you visit the site.

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyx1

I've named my kitchen aid. It's a "vintage" kitchen aid, one of the first with planetary motion. Thus, his name is Gustav, after the composer Gustav Holst, who wrote "The Planets."

Also, I swear by my Kitchen Aid and can't IMAGINE caking without it. I used to cake with a hand mixer until I found Gustav at a garage sale for something like $35. He's old, a KA from when Hobart still made them. Check garage sales! People who inherit mom's old mixer or grandma's old kitchen gadgets may not know what they have!

Edited to correct my grammar and add a forgotten detail!

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #20 of 27

About a year ago I burned out another hand mixer, and made the decision that I would smarten up and purchase a heavy duty one so started my research and decided on a Kitchen-Aid.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I am an "Air Miles" member and regularly get updates on my points ... I noticed a "specials" tab, clicked on and lo and behold they had the very mixer I wanted at a reduced points 'price'! The offer was set to expire that evening, without hesitating I clicked ORDER and had it within 3 days.
My guardian angel must have heard my prayers icon_lol.gif My only regret is not getting one sooner!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #21 of 27

I've got a KA & love it. One thing to watch for is wattage, the higher the better. All KA's aren't alike. I got mine at Sam's Club. It was cheaper than Kohl's and other stores without a coupon & they have a great return policy if you need it.
Good Luck!

lucia Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #22 of 27

Thanks so much for the advice.

I purchased a Kitchen Aid Pro Series 5 today from ebay - now I just need to wait patiently for it to arrive. (5-7 weeks)

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #23 of 27

I think I'm one of the few who doesn't have a KA. I have a Cooks mixer from JC Penney. I LOVE it! It has 12 speeds and is perfect for my needs, (but I'm just a hobbyist). I'm not sure how it would do for a professional. (Which one are you?)

The Cooks mixer starts at $300, but they regularly go on sale for $150, and sometimes even down to $100. I had never heard of them, but my mom saw it and asked me about it vs KA. So I came to CC and asked. There were a few people who had it (some for 3+ years) so I decided to take the risk and get it. I don't do fondant, so I don't know how it does with that, but I do bc regularly in it and it handles it fine.

One of my favorite things about it is that it isn't super heavy. The base his hollowed out (unlike the kitchenaid) and it has suction cups on the bottom so it sticks to the counter.

Good luck deciding!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #24 of 27

When (not if) you get your KA, if you sit it on top of a plastic clear thin cutting board, it slides very easily on your countertop.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #25 of 27
Quote:

I named by KA "cookie".

Lita829 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:

I named by KA "cookie".

I call mine "Rosebud"

lovetheduns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetheduns Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

I bought my Kitchen Aid on a big sale at Khol's, plus I used a coupon, and there was a mail in rebate to go along with it! You can also use those coupons you get in the maill for Bed Bath & Beyond.
icon_smile.gif

I just used my 10.00 Kohl's coupon and took the plunge as well on the Artisan mixer. I paid 289.00 after the coupon and I am really looking forward to the $40.00 rebate and year subscription to Food and Wine. Thanks for posting the heads up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%