Ganache Users Please Help?

Decorating By panchanewjersey Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm by MissRobin

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I know I you guys can help. I have a wedding cake (12,10,icon_cool.gif to do and I love the way so many of you use ganache under your fondant. It looks so smooth and it doesn't bulge I hear. Here are my questions:

1. Using white choc how much of each do I use to ice these cakes?
2. How long do I have to wait before icing cake and applying fondant?
3. Do I have to refrigerate it at any point? (No luck with fondant in frig)
4. Do you dam your cakes with ganache (not filling cakes with ganache)?

I know that's alot of questions but never tried this stuff and I need to make this cake. Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but I love your cakes!

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

1. Using white choc how much of each do I use to ice these cakes?

I've heard of someone who just used 3 pounds of white chocolate (3:1 ratio). I have no idea how she did it because I use about 4.5 pounds of semisweet chocolate (2:1 ratio) to ice a 10, 8, and two 6 inch rounds. I think she iced it too thin. I believe Sharon Zambito uses about the same amount of chocolate as me.

2. How long do I have to wait before icing cake and applying fondant?

I prefer to let it set in the fridge, that way it hardens faster.

3. Do I have to refrigerate it at any point? (No luck with fondant in frig)

Hmm... I always refrigerate my cakes. If you are not using any perishable fillings, I suggest you just leave it in room temperature--cool room temperature.

Let me go back with question 2. I've read it in one article (cleck planet cake) and I believe they said to let it set in room temp for atleast 12 hours before applying fondant.

4. Do you dam your cakes with ganache (not filling cakes with ganache)?

Nope, I never dam my cakes when I use ganache. I've used custards to fudgy chocolate fillings.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 4

I just made a white choc ghanache cake. I used 2-12oz bags of Nestels white chips and 8oz of cream. It tured out amazing and soooo yummy (over a red velvet cake... see my dartboard pics).

I covered it with fondant within an hour or coating and smoothing and it was fine, although I normally wait several hours.

Did not and never have, refridgerated.

No dams (no bulges and no wrinkles... I'll never use buttercream underneath again!).

My next one I want to try will be peanut butter ganache over choc cake... mmmmmmmm

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 4

Recently did a cake covered in white ganache. It was 3 tier and I used 3:1 ratio. (48 oz. choc. 16oz cream) The white chocolate ganache did not set has firm as I would have liked, not like dark chocolate. It also is just a little too sweet for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%