Raspberry Filling Too Runny ?! Help

Decorating By vlk Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 1:43am by vlk

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 9

I have the Raspberry filling in the plastic sleeve. My customer LOVES it, wants it with the Red Velvet cake.

My problem is that the filing is runny, that when I go to cut the cake the Raspberry filling is gooping out of the cake (does not look pretty)

I was wondering if there is anything I can add to the filling to make it "set" up better.. maybe some gelatin or something? So when it is cut, you can clearly see the cake and the filling and not a big mess !

Thanks a million - Vicki

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,

You could heat some of the filling in a saucepan and once it starts to simmer add a mixture of 3 to 4 tablespoons of corn starch that has been mixed with a little water. Whisk this mixture into the filling and it should thicken it for you.

Or....you could mix some of the filling with your buttercream to make a raspberry buttercream filling.

HTH

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 9

Hi, did you make the filling? You can boil it for a little while and wonder adding a bit of cornflour make it thick!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 9

I use raspberry jam ( seedless ) and cook it down to be a bit smoother and thinner then add corn starch mixture ( likk used in cooking, mix w/ a bit of cold water and add to it while hot) to make it thicken up when it starts to cool and then spread it on when a tad warm to spread nice.
Im sure you could use the same method and thicken the sleeve.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 9

Make sure you pip a very stiff dam so that the raspberry filling has nowhere to run out of. Your should mix extra powdered sugar into your buttercream to make it extremely stiff, almost dough like, and put in a piping bag, with just a coupler in it, no tip, pipe a circular dam around your cake layer, this will prevent all the gel from running out.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 9

how runny?

could just mixing it 1:1 with seedless raspberry jam or jelly get the desired consistency?

The Polaner All Fruit Raspberry is very stiff such that almost needs to be thinned to be useful.

vlk Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 9

Thank you.. my CC Friends.. I knew you would come thru for me!
I am going to try the corn starch to thicken it up and pipe the stiff icing "dam" to keep it in.

As for "how runny" .. well lets just say that once cut, the top layer of the cake slides off the bottom layer and its almost like a raspberry jam. I really like the raspberry filling, but I want it to be a nice clean cut when you serve it.

I would like them to eat it with a fork rather than a spoon (I guess I could provide sporks ! LOL )

Vicki

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 9

Good luck Vicki.

vlk Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the help - it worked out and No Sporks needed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%