How To Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By pinkcupcake512 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:28am by pinkcupcake512

pinkcupcake512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcupcake512 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 9

Hello:

I am making decorating a cake for my husband's birthday and it's a back and white theme..
my question is..how can I get the fondant to be black..i tried today using the wilton color paste in black and my fondant looks purple or a deep blue.

what am I doing wrong??

any suggestions will be appreciated.

thank you.

8 replies
cakeluv1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeluv1972 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #2 of 9

A trick I've used in the past is using a lot of color & also adding cocoa powder - it changes the consistency a bit, but I work around that. It can become more brown than black if you add too much, though. Good luck!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 9

when you are melting your mm, add some cocoa powder to make it chocolate, then add the black gel, along with some corn syrup(bout half a cup?) then mix in your ps! HTH!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 9

you are not doing anything wrong. it just takes a lot of black color... not matter the brand. if you can, just order the black satin ice.. its much easier and taste good.. lots of work to color fondant black. i have done it.. but lots of work.. adding cocoa... can make it crumbly... and changes the taste..

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 9

I used a recipe I found on here that used melted chocolate chips and corn syrup with the marshmallows. Then I added a LOT of black gel coloring. It turned out really nice and black, but dry and hard to stretch. I ended up using way too much crisco to make it pliable, and then it was shiny! I thought it was gross, but it looked like black leather, which was kind of cool. It's in my pictures, it's the True Blood cake.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 9

Another tip I heard from another CC member was that they take all the scrap fondant and mix it together, it may not be black but then you can add the gel color to it and your good to go.

Black is a tough color to get starting out with white ( I just buy it black premade) but your best to start with a chocolate base or dark color fondant .

HTH

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 9

start with chocolate and add your gel.....lots of it...and keep it covered in the dark....

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #8 of 9

start with chocolate and add your gel.....lots of it...and keep it covered in the dark....

pinkcupcake512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcupcake512 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #9 of 9

thank you so much for your suggestions and tips..

I really appreciate it.. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%