Oh, Creative Minds: Fish Food Ideas!

Lounge By absijails Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm by Rylan

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

I am having a fish/fishing themed party for my sons' birthdays this Saturday. I am looking for creative ideas for the lunch menu. So far I have:
Goldfish crackers
Swedish fish frozen in ice cubes that will be in blue punch
Fish Sticks
Popcorn Shrimp
Shell Pasta Salad
This is where I need some help - veggie tray with "sea" cucumbers and any other veggie that anyone can think of that has to do with fish or the ocean or fruit with a cute name
Thanks for any and all ideas!

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 5

could call cauliflower and brocolli white and green coral (could even dye the brocolli a bright orange or pink for the coral by sticking it in brightly colored water for a few days before the party......maybe use the little orange carrot sticks and call them sardine sticks or something??? Might be a lot of trouble but you could cut a fish tail into the ends of those mini carrot sticks that come in the bags already peeled you know? Also, if you take celery and cut slices into it 3/4 of the way down the stick and then put them in a bowl of ice water the ends that you sliced will curl up, there has got to be something in the sea that resembles that.

As far as fruit goes, there is star fruit that looks like a star when it's cut kinda tastes like a grape, or you could use cookie cutters and cut slices of apples into any shape you'd like.
Also, the celery trick works great with hot dogs too......cut the last 3/4 of a hot dog into strips (8 if you can) and then put them into boiling water and cook and the ends will curl up making it look just like an octopus....you can also give it a little slit for a mouth and use a straw and cut out a bit for eyes and once it's cooked the mouth will open and the eyes will get bigger.

here is a tutorial on them (I guess everything is on the net lol)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/homecooking/1/5/9/9/1/hotdogoctopus5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://homecooking.about.com/od/beef/ss/hdoctopussbs_5.htm&usg=__PeRe2rXPiHXRkN907GpCXiO6SvM=&h=306&w=400&sz=146&hl=en&start=3&sig2=kGAtsz4Gd-oq-8TBlVCHrg&tbnid=7WukCeTFtgUaoM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doctopus%2Bhot%2Bdog%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&ei=Jd95SvTaJp2qmQe128zdBg

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

oh also..don't forget about blue jello...you could make a fishbowl of it with gummy fish inside............or use little fish bowls to serve your goldfish crackers

By the way.....what kinda cake are you having??? I did a fish aquarium one once..so much fun and sooooooooo simple.

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 5

What great ideas! Thank you!

I'm doing fish bowl cupcakes. My older son (turning 3) and I spent hours (literally) combing through the pictures on this sight and in the end he chose the goldfish bowl cupcakes in the Hello, Cupcake! book... They are so simple and really cute.

Thank you so much again!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 5

how about crab cakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%