Want To Begin Professional Cake Decorating

Business By Katie38 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm by melissad

Katie38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie38 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and apologize if this question has already been asked. If so, if someone could please point me to the discussion I would appreciate it.

I have my bachelors degree in studio art, but really want to get into professional cake decorating. I haven't had a lot of cake decorating experience, but am a quick learner, and want to do this more than anything, but I just don't know where to start. Should I go on to get more education? Should I try to apprentice myself somewhere? I just don't know what to do or how to start. I just want to be able to learn and turn this into a career.

Thank you!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 4

I learned out of books. But there's tons and tons of stuff online --zillions of tutorials. Lots of people here to ask questions of.

As far as the business side of it --that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

You would first learn of the code requirements, zoning laws and health department regulations in your particular area--a learning experience in itself. There's a high probablility that you will receive misinformation and you will have to figure it all out.

Running the business itself is another huge deal.

Your question is so big.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 4

A lot of high end cake designers will hire artists with no prior cake experience (especially sculptors and painters). I suggest looking for an internship or even a job with a designer in your area and start from there.

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 4

Wish I could give you some expert advice, but I'm in the same place as you! I too have an art degree, but dream of working in cake. (Unfortunately, right now I can't afford to lose the FT job to make the transition.)

As the prior post said, there are a lot of great books out there, but personally I've found classes more helpful due to the hands-on aspect. An internship or aprenticeship would probably be even better if you can do one. That would let you see the business side in addition to the fun side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%