Explaination Please!

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 1:15am by JaimeAnn

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 4

can someone please explain to me the difference between fondant, gum paste, and marzapan??? and idealy how and what each should be used for? sorry if this is very basic.....my excuse is that i'm a newbie.....and i'm sticking to it! icon_lol.gif Thank you for your wonderful wisdom and patience! icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 4

Fondant takes longer to dry so it stays soft longer while gumpaste dries faster. That being said, fondant is great for covering cakes while gumpaste for decoration. I've only use marzipan once 6 years ago so I can't help with that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 4

Fondant is for covering cakes with. It takes longer to dry than gumpaste.

Gumpaste is for flowers and decorations. It dries rock hard and is usually not eaten. You can use a mix of gumpaste and fondant for things that need to dry faster but not necessarily rock hard.

Marzipan tastes great but unless you're in Great Britain you're unlikely to get any requests to cover a cake in it icon_biggrin.gif You can model figures with it and it has more texture than fondant so it stands up a bit better. It's also pretty expensive. The traditional use for it is as a covering for a rich fruit cake, to keep any brown liquid in the fruitcake from seeping out and ruining the royal icing or fondant, whichever the cake is ultimately covered with.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 4

Also.....

Marzipan uses a base of ground blanched almonds.

Fondant & gumpaste are basically dough made from powdered sugar .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%