Please Help Quick

Decorating By gracie07 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 12:08am by Rylan

gracie07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracie07 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

sorry this is long. I have always tried to make my cake more moist, and I have read so many tips but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - whether its over or under mixing or too much liquid. I try to follow the sugar to flour ratio and other tips - but I need help. My round cakes usually sink in the middle and my square or sheet cakes dome in the middle. I finally found a great recipe I loved and haven't been able to recreate it again. I have used applesauce, pudding mix (1.34oz) and a little oil to make it more moist, but I have read that you need to take away from the liquid what you add to the cake. If I'm adding 1/2 cup applesauce then how much do I take away from the milk? 1/2c? I see some recipes that call for oil, applesauce, AND buttermilk and I don't know how those cakes even stand. I've seen some websites that say dry pudding mix and half cup of applesauce or oil won't change the cake that much, but it always changes mine. I really like to make my cakes from scratch, and maybe thats why its so difficult to perfect, but I get so discouraged. Does anybody have tips or ideas or a great homemade recipe they will share that is moist and full of flavor. I just want a simple cake that I can turn vanilla or almond. Thanks CCersicon_smile.gif

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 5

there are threads on this site for made from scratch cakes.. this thread should answer your questions.. i don,t know how to get you there. but someone will see this and lead you to it.. if you don,t find it first.. its all about scratch baking.. hth

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 5

I was taught to substitute applesauce 1:1 for the oil.

gracie07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracie07 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

However much applesauce I use though, do i need to subtract some milk? The recipe I use does not call for applesauce or oil, but I add pudding mix to add flavor, but not sure how much applesauce to use.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 5

Try using baking strips. It makes my cakes super moist to the point where a moist cake reaci wouln't need it since it will break and shatter into pieces until if falls when you lift it and it won't be salvageable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%