Natural Food Coloring

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 12:45am by AmandaKate

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using natural food coloring as opposed to actual dye.....I found a website that makes and sells food coloring made from plant products. My mom is kinda a health nut and doesn't like eating dye food products so I was looking into the natural dye's to use for her cake. I would just be a bit skeptical as to how well it would work with frostings and fondant. Anyone have any experience with this? icon_rolleyes.gif Your wonderful insight is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried any natural coloring but I found this:
http://urbanvegan.blogspot.com/2008/02/make-your-own-natural-food-coloring.html

AmandaKate Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks!!! I found a site too that has already made them and sells them.....but I'd really like to hear if anyone has tried alternative dyes before.........before I purchase them and pay shipping and all that!!! Anyone else ever us natural food colorings with frosting or fondant?

Thanks for reading! icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 6

No actual advice to give, but wanted to say that I just went blackberry picking with a friend and had so much fun. Um, minus the bees, thorns, and stinging nettles. LOL. Anyway, I just made a syrup from the blackberries and it has turned a gorgeous purple red color. I gave most of the berries to my neighbor who then turned it into a lovely blackberry and apple pie. It dyed the apples this beautiful color. I say, definitely experiment and share what you find out. I made the sugar/blackberry syrup in order to experiment with fillings or possibly a dye for BC. Defnitely give it a try! thumbs_up.gif

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 6

I am very interested to see if anyone has ever tried these. I would love to be able to use natural vs. dyes as much as possible.

AmandaKate Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

Yes, I would like to try to use natural vs. artificial dyes too!!!! I'll try it out and let everybody know. I just made a cake tonight and attempted to dye some white frosting to a nice red color........it was frustrating......it felt like I just kept putting more and more dye into only about 1 cup of frosting and it just wouldnt get past a pink/red color.........and then i tasted a little bit of it and YUCK!!!! The dye gave it such a HORRIBLE bitter dye flavor that I threw it out.....I would NEVER put it on a cake tasting like that! So I am officially going to look in to the natural food colorings and let everyone know thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%