Please Help?! I Need Everyones Opinions!!!!

Decorating By KacieMeredith Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 7:09am by KacieMeredith

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 31

Ok so Im doing a wedding cake (only my third) for Aug 22nd and its for my best friend and this is actually my wedding present to them. So not only is there that pressure but Im also part of the wedding party so Im there to witness what happens when people see the cake (which makes me sick to my stomach with nerves). So here is the catch...I take my tastings over and to discuss what their cake will look like, and neither my friend or his bride have any idea what they want. I was shocked...I mean they gave me next to nothing. This is what I know...around 200 people (final count will come later) her colors (deep red, pale canary yellow, and a warm milk chocolaty brown), her wedding invites were plan brown sealed with a circle sticker, and her favor boxes are white with brown polka dots (I went with those for the cakes but I dont have to stick to that). And she isnt a traditional bride, she doesnt want a "girly frilly flowery" cake, she is a self proclaimed simple girl. She liked the black and white cake from "Because I Said So", its whimsical black &white with polka dots. Oh and she also doesnt want a traditional cake topper, or possibly even the monograms that are popular, so I came up with edible versions. So I told her I would get some ideas together and then show her to see what she likes. So this is where all you ladies and gents come inI have ideas but I feel like they either are blah or too much, or are just missing something, or I need your opinion on if Im crazy or not...

So here is a brief description of each cake Sketches are posted in Gallery because I couldnt attached them
1st Cake Topsy turvy Cant really tell in my picture, but these would be square tiers. I havent actually done a real cake like this, only a dummy for practice. Am I nuts for trying for a wedding for my first time? What are your thoughts on the design? (Sorry couldnt make this on 3-D)
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426323

2nd Cake Ok this is what happened after looking at so much inspiration on CC. I want a decent size space between all the satellite cakes at the bottom and put those fake tea lights under there, because they are just little lights that glimmer, so there will be this glow from underneathThat is an option, or just have them with no lights. What about the design? What would you change?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426318

3rd Cake Decided on this after watching Laurie from Cake Alchemy on the show Amazing Wedding Cakes. Has anyone else done this, am I nuts for trying considering I normally only do two tiered cakes or flat ones? What are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426320

Please please please help!!! Anything and everything is appreciated. I wont get offended so no need to sugar coat it, I dont care if everyone says they are all hideous (ok it will hurt a little but I would appreciate the honesty). I look forward to hearing from everyone!!!

30 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 31

You know honestly, I really like the third option that you came up with. The offset square tiers with the color scheme is super cute, and is definitely not frilly.

As long as you dowel the heck out of your layers you should be fine, make sure to include one long dowel all the way through...

A long time ago, I want to say Doug possibly had some sort of instruction posted on how to achieve theis offset square look. PM him and see if he remembers...

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 31

I really love the color scheme and like the first cake the best. I would shy away from the one you saw Cake Alchemy do because theirs was styrofoam!! I would want some practice or an engineering degree before I did that one for real. You designs are great an I'm sure she'll love whatever you do.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 31

i like the third one, but what support system do you have so that you can cantaleaver the cakes?

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 31

My favourite is the 3rd option, it looks really classy in terms of the style and colour options. In my opinion the whimsical style is great but not sure I love those colours like that on it. The Second one is good, I wanted fairy lights around my wedding cake diffused with a feather trim which did look pretty...but still prefer the more classy style of the 3rd! Good luck with whatever you decide!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 31

I really like the second one thumbs_up.gif . If you can go for it but maybe you should show the bride these pics and have her pic one. Good luck I'm sure you'll do great!!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 31

When I first read your post I thought of an all red cake (round multi-tiered) w/ brown bands and a Magnolia for a topper (dusted mild yellow). BUT I LOVE your second design, and am I understanding that it would have the artificial tealight? Sounds fabulous! I actually didn't like the cake alchemy cake (bottom); Loved the sugar work though. Your designs are really very cool (not brown nosing icon_lol.gif ).

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 31

I like #2 the best.
How big are your top two tiers?

Instead of so many little ones you could do
(according to Earlene's chart)
an 8" topper (24 servings)
10" (40 servings)
14" (84 servings)
and 4 6" squares on the bottom (48 servings)
total 196 servings

If you needed to you could always add another 6" on the top for 12 more servings.

Great colors!
Good luck!
Tracy

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 31

I like the second one but I think the bottom is a little busy. Maybe you could do 4 cakes on the bottom tier instead? Also, Maybe you should make them plain brown. I like how you brought the color in with the risers. That is very elegant to me. I am sure it will be great whatever you choose because all of your designs are pretty! Good luck!

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 31

All your designs are super cool - very modern. I like the 2nd and 3rd the best. I wouldn't even know how to begin with the 3rd though. But if you can do it, WOW what a statement!!!!!

I looked at your pics and I must say I absolutely LOVE your "Love in Many Languages" cake. It is very elegant, simple, classy, and just gorgeous!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 31

You said you had some sketches in the gallery. I suppose that they are in the wedding cake gallery?

2nd No, I don't think you are crazy to try a topsy-turvy cake whatever shape. I have someone who has said they wanted a topsy turvy cake for their wedding. I need to get busy and practice making one.

I have to stop and go get my husband from work so I will look at them later today and give you my opinion.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 31

The second one is my favorite - chocolate squares with polka dot smaller cakes.

I agree with tbittner's size suggestions and that maybe 4 small cakes on the bottom would be better. Those small cakes will kill you with all those corners.

I also liked tbittner's idea of adding another small cake on top for extra servings, or for the first anniversary tier. That small top tier could be chocolate or polka dots, with your disk topper on it.

Others have suggested that you should show all three to the bride and ask her which one she prefers, and I think so too.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Linz0507 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linz0507 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 31

OK, 1st of all...BRAVO on all 3 designs!!! They are AWESOME!! I don't think you're crazy at all...I think genius is a better word (there is a thin line between crazy and genius though icon_biggrin.gif )

I personally fell in love with #2!!! That is what I would have picked!! I'm like your friend...not into frilly stuff...but I can appreciate a stunning and formal cake!! GO FOR IT!!! Post lots of pics because I want to see which ever one you choose!

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger!!!!"[/b]

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 31

I like all your designs, but I too think #3 is the most elegant and unusual! Topsy-turvey cakes abound these days, but I haven't seen many like the stacked boxes. Definitely not girly, and very elegant. Love it! This may be a dumb question, (I'm new to CC) but what software are you using to create your sketches?

KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 31

Wow...thank you all so much for your input, I am going to adjust some of my coloring schemes and also make another image with fewer of the satellite cakes. I will then email the bride the images I will pretty much tell her these are rough designs, colors and what not and they could be changed. They dont want to save any tier for thier one year...if anything Ill make them a fresh small 6 inch, but Im waiting to do final sizes until they tell me how many people are for sure going to the wedding. Also, someone asked the size of the top cakes for the second design, and I had them marked as an 8in and 10in with 9 6 inch cakes, but again that was just rough for an image, once I see how many people Ill adjust the sizes.

And for questions on the third, luckily enough, my father forced me to build and redo everything in my house with him when I was younger, power tools and construction are my second favorite hobby (behind cakes and tied with watching college football). I would have a heavy base that used connector pipes, phalanges and brakets, so each cake would have a center support that each cake board(wood) would attach too. No weight would be on any cake.

But keep the comments coming, I really appreciate the input.

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 31

My vote is for #2. I think it looks elegant and not too busy. What do you mean by artificial tea lights?

KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 31

Oh...sorry I think I missed some things

kylekaitlyn - Thanks so much for your comments, I created the love cake for class and used what I would want my wedding cake to look like

Linz0507 - Thanks for your kind words...but your right there is a very fine line that crosses right over into crazytown, which is why I needed everyone opinions...didnt know if I had crossed that line...

CakeRx - I use Microsoft publisher. They have some really neat options, including one where you can make any shape 3-D and adjust the depth perception, angle and even from where the light hits it.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #18 of 31

My vote is #2!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #19 of 31

I like the second one..But to mee the little cakes arent going to support all that cake on the top unless you go for dummies or bigger cakes..That is asking for a lot of trouble if you do them that small in cake.

More than anything..All designs are lovely. But I would suggest you sit down with the bride an groom and show them the sketches to see which one they like best..
Edna icon_smile.gif

KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #20 of 31

mannjc - There look like tea lights but they are battery operated, I probably just should have said that in the first place, but the flicker like real flames do...they have a million, I was looking at this website

http://www.batteryoperat1qcandles.net/tea-lights.html

Toedna - Thanks for your suggestions. There would be a seperate support system for the large cakes, the small ones would more or less just slide underneath the support system...

And I am going to sit down with the birde and groom, I just wanted opinions before I presented these ideas, I didnt want them thinking I was insane or anything... icon_surprised.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacieMeredith

mannjc - There look like tea lights but they are battery operated, I probably just should have said that in the first place, but the flicker like real flames do...they have a million, I was looking at this website

http://www.batteryoperat1qcandles.net/tea-lights.html

Toedna - Thanks for your suggestions. There would be a seperate support system for the large cakes, the small ones would more or less just slide underneath the support system...

And I am going to sit down with the birde and groom, I just wanted opinions before I presented these ideas, I didnt want them thinking I was insane or anything... icon_surprised.gif

Just keep in mind that small cakes are not too strong and can break easier..Good luck!

Edna thumbs_up.gif

KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #22 of 31

Will do...thanks for your suppor!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 31

WOW! #2.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #24 of 31

#2 for sure - I like how the top 2 tiers are solid chocolate colour.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #25 of 31

I found them and I really like the 3rd one the best. it is classy and fun. Certainly not at all girly girl. I love the colors. You did great on this one. I like the one reply you got or maybe you gave. show the bride to be all three and see what she says. If she says I want to be surprised go with the 3rd one. I like the topsy-turvy idea, but your 3rd sketch blew the topsy-turvy one out of the water.

KacieMeredith Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #26 of 31

Thank you everyone so much...the bride has the pics now...we will wait and see what she says...I will let everyone know which cake I am going to get to do...or if I have to start all over...yikes!!!

wicked148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wicked148 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #27 of 31

Hey - first off.... GOOD LUCK and best wishes one which ever cake you and the bride/groom choose. I would shy away from #1 if you have only done the dummy cake and aren't super comfortable about it. #2 & #3 are both beautiful and you couldn't go wrong with either. Just be sure to watch and double check your supports.... give yourself enough time to allow for mistakes and moments where you may want to pull your hair out.... but you know you can do this... just take a deep breath, count to ten and keep going... and again best wishes.
Teresa

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #28 of 31

Did the bride pick one yet? Update please icon_smile.gif .

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #29 of 31

I like no 2 thumbs_up.gif

But I'd make the base out of one big square cake too. Then I could have the smaller cakes arranged around the base tier like a border.

Why? Because Chinese feng shui says it's bad luck to have the main cake resting on smaller separate cakes as it denotes separation. As in the bride and groom, for whom the cake is made, would be of separate minds and hearts. Not auspicious, as they say.

Ditto topsy-turvy or cantilevered designs. They don't denote stability.

Feng shui wise the best design for wedding cakes are round, solid cakes, either stacked or separated with pillars or floating on individual stands.

Now I realize that you're probably not Chinese (neither am I, BTW), but I've met so many Westerners familiar with and following the tenets of feng shui, I just thought I'd throw this in. Anyway we're free to dismiss feng shui as hoohah, take it with a grain of salt (as I'm wont to do) or ascribe to it 100% (like my MIL, bless her).
icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #30 of 31

I'm torn between #2 and #3. I'd say that if you are confident in your skills then go for #3. If you want to play it a little safer then I would suggest #2. But I'm dying to see what the bride chose! Tell, tell, tell!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%