Open House?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm by cylstrial

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm *thinking* about holding an open house this fall but unsure. I don't think I want it at my home...but I can't get hotels to reply to my emails about pricing. I guess I should call. Anyone know a ballpark figure to rent a hotel meeting room (small) for a couple hours?

Money is getting tight though so I'm not sure if it would even be worth it. Hmmm. I was thinking about doing the open house for wedding planners and other wedding vendors.

Any tips, hints?

Another thing is technically....I guess I could do it in my church but I don't know that I want them coming to a church for a wedding open house.

I'm just not sure if I even want to tackle it but have been mulling it for awhile now.

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 6

Do you know any other vendors who would let you use their space and share an open house? I was thinking of asking an invitation store up the street, or a party rental store that I work with a lot if they'd want to do something similar. Since you'd be doing cake samples they wouldn't even have to provide any food, and it would get foot traffic into their shops.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Do you know any other vendors who would let you use their space and share an open house? I was thinking of asking an invitation store up the street, or a party rental store that I work with a lot if they'd want to do something similar. Since you'd be doing cake samples they wouldn't even have to provide any food, and it would get foot traffic into their shops.

Hmmm that's an idea....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

It depends how big a space you are talking about for the hotel. If you just want to rent a meeting room, they will probably charge you $120. If you want to rent the ballroom for a few hours they are probably going to charge $500 or so.

The reason I say that is because I called to find a place to have a cake competition and the hotel said $1800 for two full days, plus I would have had to get the carpets cleaned.

Have you thought about a church or a school?

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 6

Try your local library. My friend started a special organic club that I'm a member of and they didn't charge her anything. I suppose if it's for a bsuiness they may charge you something for the private meeting room but I can't imagine much. It has two large doors that can open up so anyone who happens to be in the library might pop in to after the private meeting with wedding planner/s vendors. You could give the library patrons the leftover cake along with info and you could advertise ahead of time for both meetings/different times to be held...that way you kill two birds with one stone...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 6

Good idea Tiffraine! I never thought of a library!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%