Butterfly Cost

Business By saberger Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:38am by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 22

Someone is interested in buying about a dozen of butterflies as seen in this cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1332131

How would you figure out how much to charge? I can't compute it by the hour because it was the first time I had made them. Any ideas would be most welcome.

TIA

21 replies
saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 22

anybody?

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 22

Wow those are wonderful! You did an awesome job. I'm not sure about price but wow they are so pretty

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 22

Thanks. But the price definitely has me stumped.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 22

I can only tell you that I do gumpaste/ fondant butterflies for cupcakes and the cupcakes go for $3.50 each w/ the butterflies...See pics I have posted...If you have the cutters with the viening etc. from global sugarart, then they will not take you long. So I guess I would calculate cost by ingredients and then add at least an hour of labor...So maybe $20.
When I do them it takes me about 2 hours total to do 2 dozen... this includes the coloring, rolling out, cutting, hand painting...etc. (of course that doesn't include the drying time)
Hope that helps....

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 22

thanks notjustcakes. So you figure the $20 for a dozen and then add shipping charges to it, right?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 22

Wow. I get $3 for a butterfly that I print out on wafer paper, and put on a body and a wire. For those I'd ask $5 for sure. And make sure this person knows that any breakage in the mail is their problem. And that they should order extra to account for breakage.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 22

I would pay $20.00 for a dozen of those!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 22

I'm with Leah, $5 each. I just made a couple of monarch butterflies for a cake, and they took me an hour to do two of them. Butterflies are time-consuming no matter how much experience you have doing them, if you do them so that they have a lot of detail on them.

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 22

wow! $5 each?! Hmmm....I think I can go somewhere in between the 2 prices and figure $42/doz plus shipping for now? And I will definitely let her know about possible breakage. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I REALLY don't know what these things are worth!

HelenM2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelenM2002 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 22

Those are exquisite! I would probably also charge $5 each, plus shipping. And ditto the advice that you are not responsible for any breakage.

Would you be able to fit them in a clean egg carton for shipping? And then wrap the carton(s) in bubble wrap?

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 22

I don't know how to package them. Since I would only be making the wings, I figured I could package them flat on foam and wrapped in plastic (like what Fancy Flours does). Let's see if she actually orders!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 22

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22431

notice the size...the absence of color and detail that your's has

http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/20635/endrw/0
I can't tell what size your's are but they look quite large. I would definitely charge the higher of the CC recommended rates for them(5.00 each).

I'm not knocking the butterflies pictured in the links above....just using them and their cost as a comparison to the ones done by saberger.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 22

I know a lady who charges $6 for 1 color gumpaste and $8 for fondant/wafer multi-color butterflies

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #15 of 22

Holy Moly!!! I would NEVER think they would cost that much! And to think I am feeling like I am charging too much with the $42/doz!

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 22

saberger - don't sell yourself short. $5 + per piece is the right thing to charge. I go through the same guilt trip every time I make my cakes or cookies. The ingredients are relatively inexpensive. You are charging for your time not the ingredients. I always try to imagine i have 1 assistant i need to pay for the job. If you pay them 10 per hour (let say casue thats what i get paid to assist sometimes) to make the butterflies, and she can make 2 dozen in two hours, you'll need to pay $20 of the cost to them. If u charge $20, yo make no profit. if you charge 42, you pay your worker (yourself) plus the 'business' gets another 20+. Remember your precious time and skills is what they pay for.
Also, other members brought up a good point. The butterflies you buy from other website are white. They still need to be colors, painted, decorated. Your giving her a finished product.
And i agree with you that i like the way that fancyflours packages their items. I would lay down a thin layer of foam, then over that i would lay down a thicker peice and vut out little "V" shaped grooves for the butterflies to sit in. then cover with thin foam again. I hope you do get the order. just for experience sake.
Good luck let us know how it goes.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 22

Your butterflies are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! You definetly can charge way more then $5.00 a piece.

saberger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #18 of 22

rosamatsas - that is a really good way to look at it....as if I have to pay an assistant....I will have to work on that.

Thank you all for your kind compliments and help. I did send her an email with the price ($42/doz) and shipping warning. She wrote back with a simple thank you...I guess she isn't interested. *shrug* not sure. I guess since I would charge that to sell it to someone, does that mean that is how much I would add to the cost of the cake? Never thought of that!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #19 of 22

I would totally pay $5 each for those, they are stunning. Please tell me how you make them. Is it a mold? And how did you color them? You could forget the cakes and just sell butterflies to all of us on cc. lol. But yes, totally add the price per butterfly to any cakes that you put them on.

liha21 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #20 of 22

I would totally pay $5 each for those, they are stunning. Please tell me how you make them. Is it a mold? And how did you color them? You could forget the cakes and just sell butterflies to all of us on cc. lol. But yes, totally add the price per butterfly to any cakes that you put them on.

liha21 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #21 of 22

saberger Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by liha21

That is SO funny!! I told my DH about the request for the butterflies and what all of you said and he said "Why don't you sell them on Ebay or Amazon or your website!" lol!!

I use the patchwork butterfly cutters and hand painted them with food color and luster dusts. LOTS of fun to make!

Thanks CCers....you make me feel so good!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%