New Business Connection Wants To Talk About My Contract?

Business By CakeForte Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm by cylstrial

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 6

I've been hitting the networking events hardcore. I was connected with a vendor and we're doing an initial phone call and she requested for me to send over a copy of my contract so we could have something to discuss. I not exactly a baby in the wedding biz anymore...but I haven't been around the block a few time either. I think this is a strange request, and really none of her business. She could go to my website and find a lot to discuss.

Am I missing something? Is discussing my contract really necessary, or a way to build a business connection?

How should I respond to this request without coming across as uncooperative, not even sure that is the right word.

Thanks!

5 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 6

What kind of contact is this woman going to be? Is she someone who will be bringing you business? If so then I guess it would make sense for her to know what you require of your clients and what services you will be providing to them. I guess I would ask her what she expects to learn from the contract itself. Probe a bit and find out what she wants. In the end though does it really matter? You show your contract to clients so what would it hurt? Just some thoughts to ponder.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

I had a new venue that was opening up email me and say that they wanted me on their preferred vendor list (at no cost to me) and then attached a copy of their venue contract for me to see.

I was a little caught off guard with the contract... maybe that's just how some people do it? I don't send me contract to new business contacts though

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 6

I don't know of vendors just openingly showing their contracts. I've been told by vendors that when they've dont that, they have had other competitors copy their contract word for word, just change of name. I personally don't see any harm if they're like an event planner or something like that. But then again, I don't understand why she is not okay with you just giving the highlight points of your contract like, deposit, refund policy, timelines you may have, stuff like that. Definetly like BeeBoos says, ask a little more questions as to why.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 6

I agree that I'd ask what she wants to learn from it, but she might just want to see what you require. Like someone else said, once you give a copy of your contract to a client, who knows what they do with it? They could show it to anyone. I've had people give me copies of other bakers' contracts so that they can compare servings counts, etc. People on CC have posted contracts for everyone to see, and I've sent copies of my contract to other bakers who have asked to see it. A blank contract isn't such a big deal. Actually, if every baker in town used the same contract, it would be a lot easier to explain why we require certain things in them.

Now if they ask to see your recipes, that's a different story!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Now if they ask to see your recipes, that's a different story!

LOL! Amen! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%