My Website!!!

Business By MerlotCook Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm by BeeBoos-8599_

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 17

So I went ahead and published it without a gallery for now. I'll work on cakes next week! Can I get some opinions on my website please!
www.CakeWalkWorland.com

16 replies
EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 17

MerlotCook-
Just some suggestions:
1. Increase your save the date deposit to $100. $25 is just too low and the client will feel much more obligated to sealing the deal with final payments later on if they have more money invested(they won't think of going elsewhere if they find a better overall price)
2. I also think you should offer 3-5 flavor combinations of their choice, not yours. They may detest chocolate cake (an example)

Otherwise from what I see it's off to a wonderful start.

Good luck with your business adventure! I hope you have great success!

I'll try to critique later as it comes along...still working on my own web page too! Not licensed to sell cakes yet but soon!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 17

Looks nice. I don't have anything else to say other than the deposit. I suggest you use % instead of $xx.xx

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 17

one important suggestion:

convert your serving guide to a PDF file which is much more easily read by the majority of surfers.

currently you have a docx file. this will be unreadable by anyone who has the old version of Word which uses doc files and has not installed the converter.

to convert to PDF use one of the FREE pdf converters. You simply choose them as your printer and it prints to a pdf file.

the 3 that I use (ok so I like options!)

http://www.pdf995.com/

http://www.primopdf.com/

http://www.cutepdf.com/

the free versions work good enough, no need to upgrade to the paid versions.

otherwise a great start! looking forward to a gallery full of beautiful cakes!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 17

I really like the clean simple easy to follow layout of your site. Nice Job!

The only problem I had was when I tried to view your serving guide link.
My computer did not recognize the format of the Doc. I am sure a lot of people have the program used to create it on thier computer and will be able to see it , But a lot will not.

MerlotCook Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #6 of 17

Thanks all! I did change the file to a PDF so hopefully it works better now. Thanks, Doug, I had no clue they were that easy to do!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 17

I think I have a crush on Doug. Heheheheh. He is allways so helpfull and full of good info.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 17

I would like to add, perhaps, it seems like you are telling them exactly what they are going to do at the tasting. Maybe leave out the (my choice) part and the you will choose a design. Just a thought. Seems a little "you will do this now or die!". Maybe it's just me. But I do love the site!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 17

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Well done, it looks great!

Excellent flavour choice - how did you come up with the name for the business? It's great and unique.

I wish you every success

Cheers from Oz,

Kim cowboy.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 17

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Well done, it looks great!

Excellent flavour choice - how did you come up with the name for the business? It's great and unique.

I wish you every success

Cheers from Oz,

Kim cowboy.gif

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 17

Love the layout & design of your site. Very clean, easy to navigate, which is HUGE!

I'm going to echo (sort of) Jamie's comments...the first paragraph toward the bottom of the front page seems a tad harsh. The part about "don't expect grocery store prices" might be a turn off to potential customers. All of us here on CC understand that sentiment, but we're not your audience.

I think you can convey a similar sentiment with some different wording. Maybe you could talk about how long you've been designing cakes and also talk about the personal, individualized attention that you give to every client. That would resonate with me.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 17

Very nice website and so easy to navigate...I know you will have much success!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #13 of 17

I usually look for grammatical errors, but I only found 3 small ones:

Under "How do I save my top tier?", I'd add an "a" where it says, "I will make you (a) replica."

Under "Can you copy a cake design?", the word "it's" should be "its."

Under "Are all cakes the same price?", I'd put a hyphen in "budget-friendly."

Great web site, and I know you'll be a wonderful success!!! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 17

ok...couldn't resist. possible edits (starting to get back in school mode --- NOOO icon_cry.gif vacation is almost over!)

Welcome to Cake Walk! Allow me to provide the perfect custom-designed cake for your wedding, birthday, anniversary or special occasion. My custom [or use unique] designs in many delicious flavors are made from scratch using only the highest quality ingredients. I look forward to working with you to create a culinary masterpiece for your occasion.

Custom designed and crafted cakes take many hours of planning, preparation, baking and decorating. As with any custom work, they are priced accordingly. The one-of-a-kind design and taste justify the difference!

For your wedding or anniversary cakes, you and three of your friends or family are invited to arrange a free cake consultation. You'll sample 3 different cake flavors and a variety of fillings and frostings. After the tasting, we'll discuss the design and flavors of your dream cake!

variant of last paragraph:

You and three of your friends or family are invited to arrange a free cake consultation for your wedding or anniversary cake. You'll sample 3 different cake flavors and a variety of fillings and frostings. After the tasting, we'll discuss the design and flavors of your dream cake!

MerlotCook Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 17

Wow! Such great ideas on much needed changes! Thanks so much for the help and compliments! Next week is devoted to getting some pictures up!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 17

So Doug...do you design web content in addition to cakes? 'Cuz I'm calling you when it's website time for me.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 17

LMAO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%