First Time Making Fondant And Fondant Stripes

Decorating By kcziggy Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 12:21am by Rylan

kcziggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcziggy Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 3

I am attempting my first batch of fondant and I have been reading posts, but can't find any tips on making even stripes.

I am planning to make even, electric purple and electric pink MMF stripes on the bottom tier (14") of an IMBC cake. I am going to follow this pattern: 1" purple, 1" space, 1/4" pink, 1" space, repeating

I am putting circles on the second tier, but I'm pretty sure I can figure the circles out!

1. Is MMF a good choice of fondant recipe for this design?

2. How long before I assemble/decorate should I make the fondant?

3. Do I have to let it harden or dry?

4. I've read that some add paste color to the marshmallows, do you agree or disagree since I am attempting a fairly dark saturated color?

5. How do I get the stripes even, use a ruler and pizza cutter?

6. I have a pasta roller for my kitchenaid, should I try to use that, or roll the fondant?

Any other tips/suggestions greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 3

I always use MMF. Make it a day in advance or it will be too soft to work with easily, but color it when you make it, while it's soft enough to knead easily. If you use wilton colors, Rose (not Rose petal) will make a bright hot pink.

To make the 1" stripes, the ruler and pizza wheel are a good idea. For the 1/4" stripes, you should go to Target and buy a herb mincer. It's only $5 and it will cut a bunch of narrow stripes at once, which will be a lot easier than trying to do them with a ruler. Put the stripes on while they're still soft so they will bend easily to go on the cake.

About the pasta roller, I have a manual one and it's never worth the trouble of getting it out and bolting it to the counter to roll fondant. I don't know how different it would be with an electric one.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #3 of 3

1. Is MMF a good choice of fondant recipe for this design?

-Of course.

2. How long before I assemble/decorate should I make the fondant?

-I suggest you follow Texas_rose's advice since I don't have any experience with that.

3. Do I have to let it harden or dry?

-For the stripes? No, that way it can take the shape of the cake.

4. I've read that some add paste color to the marshmallows, do you agree or disagree since I am attempting a fairly dark saturated color?

-I agree, I use gel colors all the time.

5. How do I get the stripes even, use a ruler and pizza cutter?

-Yes you can do that if you don't have the ribbon cutter.

6. I have a pasta roller for my kitchenaid, should I try to use that, or roll the fondant?

-Yep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%