How'd I Do: My First Real Tiered Cake!

Decorating By adree313 Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm by EricaT

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 22

i have to thank everyone on CC for their help on this. i don't think i asked any questions for specific help, but searching the boards made doing this cake a heck of a lot easier on me! it's certainly not perfect, but i only made it for myself (yesterday was my 20th birthday). it's a doctored yellow cake (my favorite) with raspberry filling covered in ganache. the ganache is what i needed the most help with. fondant and 50/50 accents.
some things i still need to work on:
1) getting my ganache perfectly smooth.
2) realizing that when i trim the cakes i need to make sure all tiers are the same height!!!! god that was a stupid mistake on my part lol.
but overall i'm very happy with how it came out! again, thank you everyone!
(oh, and any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif )
picture wouldn't attach, so here's the link... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422947

21 replies
adree313 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 22

icon_sad.gif lol

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:58am
post #3 of 22

You did a really nice job. I love how you also added white, it gave it some lightness.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:46am
post #4 of 22

It turned out very cute! And I think you did a great job with the ganache, especially considering it's the first time that you've worked with it!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 22

Lovely, and Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 22

Great job on your first tiered cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 22

Wow terrific job! I actually think different heights look cool on tiered cakes, especially when it's 3 tiers or more. You really did an amazing job though!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 22

I think you did a great job for your first time. thumbs_up.gif I also like the way different height s look on tiered cakes as well.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 22

You did a great job for a first time tier cake! I love to do different things for family cakes, you get some great experience and if it is a little "different" than what you were aiming for, no harm is done, lol! Your ganache looks good also, and I love your colors and the differing heights of the tiers...good job! (and I still have yet to work with ganache, so you are way ahead of me in the experimenting department)

adree313 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 22

oh, wow. thank you all so much! i have to say, it photographed better than it acutally looked in person (minus that crappy quality of the camera phone picture).

NJMOMMIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJMOMMIE Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 22

You did an amazing job!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 22

Looks delish! You did a great job for your first tiered cake!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 22

Very cute cake, I love the design! I think I will have to try the yellow cake with ganache...my hubby will love it. Thanks for the ideas!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 22

Great job, and Happy belated birthday! party.gifbirthday.gif

Now make sure you save this picture so when you make your birthday cake next year you can look back and see how much more Awesome You are!!!!!!

Next year you will be 21 so I will be watching for a Super Duper Grand elaborate creation from you like on the Cake Challenge!

icon_biggrin.gif

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 22

It looks delicious icon_smile.gif

I am also a fan of different heights in the tiers. I think it looks great, especially for a first try. Your ganache looks pretty smooth...nice sharp edges and all! It takes a lot of practice, but you definitely have the talent. Like JamieAnn said, keep this picture! It's always great to see how you started and how far you've come.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 22

You did a very good job, your ganache looks really nice.Happy birthday! I see we share a birthday. Hope you got spoilt.... I did.

adree313 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

You did a very good job, your ganache looks really nice.Happy birthday! I see we share a birthday. Hope you got spoilt.... I did.

thank you! and not as spoiled as i'd have liked... lol. happy birthday to you, too!

adree313 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Great job, and Happy belated birthday! party.gifbirthday.gif

Now make sure you save this picture so when you make your birthday cake next year you can look back and see how much more Awesome You are!!!!!!

Next year you will be 21 so I will be watching for a Super Duper Grand elaborate creation from you like on the Cake Challenge!

icon_biggrin.gif

thank you! i was already planning on going bigger next year and i guess i have to now! and cyndi, thank you for your comments as well. it's nice to get reassurance from CCers. it's very, very appreciated. and i think if you look at my first "pseudo tiered" cake, i've come along way!! (pseudo meaning, i just slapped it together without leveling, doweling, or smoothing... it was a few years back before i even thought about going into this for real!)

thank you thank you thank you everyone for all the kind words! it's greatly appreciated and helps keep me motivated to try to become better and better!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #19 of 22

You did a good job!
Edna icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:29am
post #20 of 22

I think your cake looks great and hope that when I'm brave enough to try a tiered cake it'll look as good as yours.
You asked about getting ganache smooth: I have the Planet Cake book and they recommend you spread the ganache as smoothly as you can, then let it fully set then use a hot palette knife or metal spatula (fill a jug with boiling water and dip it in) to smooth over any imperfections. It worked quite well the first time I did it with cupcakes (I used it under fondant instead of buttercream)
Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #21 of 22

I think you did a FANTASTIC job for your first tiered cake!!!!!!!
It's super cute, and I love the varying tier sizes!!!!!
The ganache looks so yummy, and I love the topper!!
Great job!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! party.gif

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 22

Id say it looks like you did a very good job. doesnt look like a 1st tired cake to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%