Is Anyone Stationed In Germany?

Decorating By julzs71 Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm by julzs71

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 17

I am visiting with a friend at vogelweh. Is anyone else over here?

16 replies
shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 17

Awe, I know where that is! I lived about an hour from there for 3 years (Spangdahlem AB), but moved back last summer. We'd go shopping at vogelweh a lot because the BX was so much bigger than ours. We'd shop, then hit Chili's over on Ramstein. Now I'm getting homesick for Germany! I miss it a lot!! Enjoy your time there!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 17

I'm with Shannon100. We just moved a few weeks ago back to the states. But we were stationed at Geilenkirchen - on the German/Dutch border.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 17

My husband works with a computer company. We have traveled to Kaiserslauteren (vogelew), ramstein, and Belgium, and Mendenhall in England. We stay for a week and fly back to NY

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 17

I just missed you! We were stationed at Spangdahlem, but PCSed 2 months ago. Shannon100, I bet you a million bucks you and I at least knew each other by sight! I worked in the Spang deli/bakery and before that, the gas station.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 17

We were stationed at Sembach (near Vogelweh) about a year and half ago. We are in the Netherlands now and we do go back there quite a bit. We are actually in the states right now visiting family. It is so nice to be able to go to Target! Have fun visiting your friend!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 17

My daughter just moved back from berlin a few weeks ago.

shannon100 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 17

MrsMabe, What a small world! I PMed you. icon_smile.gif

julzs71 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks for the responses. Is there anything to do around here? We went to a castle in landstuhl. I think that's how it is spelled and we went to Hokenecken castle. Oh and we went to Yabadoo.

shannon100 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 17

Have you been to Trier yet? It was my FAVORITE place to go!!! It's the oldest city in Germany, and it used to be the gateway to the Roman empire (if my memory is correct!). It had a lot of Roman ruins, and it's just overall a great city to visit.

You definitely need to go to the Mosel River valley. I had 2 favorite cities there- Bernkastel-Kues and Cochem. Cochem has a castle, and Bernkastel is just a fun place to walk around. The Mosel River valley is BEAUTIFUL! If you can do a drive there, you definitely should. Plan on a couple of hours, as the speed is slow through the villages and around some curves. Plus you'll want to stop and take pictures. icon_smile.gif

If you can find any weekend festivals going on, you definitely should check those out. How long are you there? There's a fun wine festival that happens at the end of August, but you probably aren't going to be there long enough for that. The town of Wittlich (near Spangdahlem, about an hour from Vogelweh) has a pig festival.

I'm assuming you are visiting on a military base, right? If you are, you can go to their ITT or the USO and find out about day trips. They should also have a schedule of weekend festivals. German festivals are so fun! Take plenty of money for food. icon_smile.gif

brandy7909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy7909 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #11 of 17

Omygosh love it! I grew up in Cochem! Definatley visit the Rhine valley its beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I wonde if my dads old restaurant Ottos is still there?? Have FUN!!!!

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:57am
post #12 of 17

I'm not too familiar with that area (I live down in the corner on the border to Basel, Switzerland), but if you're willing to drive a little I'd really recommend hopping over into France. Colmar is wonderful and a bit north of there (on the way I think) is a restored castle called Haut Koenigsburg. According to Mapquest, Colmar is about 2 1/2 hours from Kaiserslautern. Freiburg (Germany) is also a wonderful place to visit and I highly recommend the tours offered by the tourists' office. Extremely well done and informative.

Enjoy your stay!

Jenny

julzs71 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:29am
post #13 of 17

Thank you everyone. I just got my license in the mail today so my kids and I are off to rent a car.
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had plan to go to trier and cochem today and tomorrow.
Thank you again.
Julie

Kala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kala Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 17

We just came back from the Ramstein area we are stationed in Aviano Italy. I recommend you go eat to a restaurant close to Sambach hope I spelled that correct. It's either called The Wooden Spoon or The Silver Spoon it's delicious. I have been in Italy for over a year now so I was a happy camper at the Macaroni Grill in the new mall at Ramstein. Hope you enjoy your trip!!!!

Kala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kala Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #15 of 17

We just came back from the Ramstein area we are stationed in Aviano Italy. I recommend you go eat to a restaurant close to Sambach hope I spelled that correct. It's either called The Wooden Spoon or The Silver Spoon it's delicious. I have been in Italy for over a year now so I was a happy camper at the Macaroni Grill in the new mall at Ramstein. Hope you enjoy your trip!!!!

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 17

Go to ITT and see if they have any Mosel River Wine Tour. That was one of the funnest things I did there! You take a cruise down the river where you can get wine. Then you take a bus to a vineyard where you have an absolutely delicious meal and taste like 20 different wines. Tons of fun!!

julzs71 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #17 of 17

I just got back from a mini vacation. Had a blast. We went to Trier, Luxembourg City, Brussels, and Cochem. They had a wine festival going on at Cochem with fireworks and singing and dancing. Then they had a festival at Burg Cochem. Brussels was awesome. The building there are gorgeous. All the art, statues, and architecture was gorgeous. Trier was awesome, but we only had several hours there. So we missed alot. Luxembourg had the best food.
I LOVE EUROPE!!!!!
I have a few more days here. I'm flying back on Space A. My husband is meeting me mid tour from Iraq in the states, so I want to make sure I am there when he gets back. Otherwise, I would stay here forever. Hopefully I will be able to come over here again.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Kala, The Wooden Spoon is a good place. My husband told me to go there, so we went the first week I got here. Did you like the Macaroni Grill better than Italy's cuisine? I've never had Macaroni Grill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%