Candy Mold For Cookies?

Baking By cakefort Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 5:52am by motherofgrace

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 11

My son is having a Star Wars theme party and I would really like to have Star Wars cookies made that the kids can decorate with edible markers. Star Wars cookie cutters don't exist (and I can't make my own) and pre-made Star Wars cookies don't seem to exist, either. If I can at least find an imprint somewhere, that would probably work, or at least I hope it will. Could I put sugar cookie dough in a candy mold, take it out (carefully!), and bake it on a cookie sheet? Will it cook evenly? Will it retain its shape?

10 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 11

No I dont think it will hold up an you will end up with odd looking blobs of cooked dough. Try taking something stiff and cutting out a tepllate that you can then use to cut out the rolled out cookie dough. Roll out the dough, lay on the template, use a sharp knife to cuty around it and remove excess dough. DO this on some parchment dough so you can transfer them to the cookie sheet easier. Good Luck.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 11

They would probably spread and the shape would distort. I was thinking maybe you could bake sword shaped cookies and let the kids decorate their own light sabers using fondant. There are neon food colors that would mimic the saber blade. Just a thought. Good luck.

Cookie45 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 11

They would probably spread and the shape would distort. I was thinking maybe you could bake sword shaped cookies and let the kids decorate their own light sabers using fondant. There are neon food colors that would mimic the saber blade. Just a thought. Good luck.

Cookie45 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 11

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 11

Yes, you can. I use NFSC, dust your mold with a little cornstarch, press in the cookie dough, being sure to get it into all of the crevices. Put in the freezer for a few minutes. You might have to give the dough a little help with the tip of a sharp knife to get it to release, but it will, if you still have trouble with it, put it back in the freezer for awhile. I bake these a little longer than usual, but they will bake up with the detail still intact. Here is a Santa face I made using a candy mold.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207051

HTH, pm me if you have any questions.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:54am
post #7 of 11

You can also google star wars coloring pages and print them as edible images. If you have a photo software program you can put a bunch on one page. Then you put them on fondant and apply to sugar cookies, the kids can then use edible markers to color them. Just another thought. I have Star Wars cupcakes in my pics and I used the coloring pages to make chocolate transfers. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:55am
post #8 of 11

You can also google star wars coloring pages and print them as edible images. If you have a photo software program you can put a bunch on one page. Then you put them on fondant and apply to sugar cookies, the kids can then use edible markers to color them. Just another thought. I have Star Wars cupcakes in my pics and I used the coloring pages to make chocolate transfers. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 11

I've used a candy mold to shape cookies. linedancer gives you excellent directions.

You can use a bell cutter for Darth Vader and Storm Troopers, just trim the clapper.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1166020
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1232091

Don't know how many cookies you'll have to make. You can use a template to cut them out. Alana Hodgson has generously shared some here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alana_hodgson/

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 11

Kind of along the theme of having the kids decorate the cookies: You could make lite-sabers (sp?) cut-outs (super simple to cut these out with a sharp knife) and have glace-frosting in bags for the kids to decorate. You could also pre-decoate the "handles" and just have them pick the top "color". If you put the glace on and then dip into th same color of colored-sugar, they look kinda cool.... (we did a star wars themed party 2 years ago and make these cookies as the "school treat")

HTH
TammyH

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:52am
post #11 of 11

i heard someone used the "bell" cutter to make darth vater!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%