Preventing Cracked Heels???

Lounge By JodieF Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm by michellenj

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 17

Every summer I have problems with my heels developing painful cracks. I do go barefoot. I use a pumice stone on my feet in the shower, at least every other day. I have a file for dry skin. I have tried cracked heel cream, anti fungal cream and sleeping with vaseline covered feet in cotton socks (which kills me, because menopause overheating is a problem at night).
Does anyone have a solution that works for them? These cracks HURT! I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks,

Jodie

16 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 17

Sandpaper! I find the files meant for feet aren't heavy duty enough. I use a reasonably coarse sandpaper to rub them over newspaper. Then use the heel cream you probably already have.

I do it nightly for a few nights, then as required. I actually get my very wonderful husband to do it on the first night, cause it can take a while.

My mum has the same problem; she soaks her feet in water, then takes a`paring knife to them before the sandpaper. I can't bring myself to do that yet!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 17

OK Salon Owner here............get yourself a pedicure every 2 weeks, that's the first thing.....second........NEVER walk barefoot, it's the worse thing for your feet and third..........this may sound strange but Vick's Vapor Rub is the industry's best kept secret. shhhhh!!!

Reason being........those cracked heels could actually harbor a foot fungus if you let it go. Vick's not only will heel the cracks, it will also treat the fungus.

I've been using it for years and coming from a woman who is on her feet from 9 in the morning til (someday's) midnight if I'm baking/decorating.... my feet are perfectly smooth. Put it on after you shower/bathe and white cotton socks do help but if you can't stand them all night just put them on for at least an hour.

I do get regular pedicures also......it's my one indulgence.

Edited to add.........PP please don't use a paring knife on your feet or tell your Mom not to. They sell callous razors that are much more effective and they're a heck of a lot safer than a knife and sanding paper. icon_eek.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 17

The ped egg is worth its weight in gold...

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 17

Vick's Vapor Rub? Wow... that is something I never would have thought of!

JodieF Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 17

okay....confession time......I have that icky toenail fungus, so I have never had a pedicure. I figure they won't wanna deal with it. I've had it on my little toe since HS and then I fell last year and tore off 4 nails and they came in all thick and gross. I HATE it.

Shoot...I'll try the Vapo Rub though....why the heck not???

Jodie

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:59am
post #7 of 17

Try the ped egg, it works great.

As for the nail fungus, I suggest you get that checked because it will get worst if left untreated.

Good luck.

Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 17

Jodie, There is oral medication that you can take for foot fungus. I'll ask my manicurist today when I go into the Salon, she probably knows the name. It is a prescription I believe.

I'll get back to ya on that. You're right about not being able to get a pedicure with an active fungus present, we're not allowed to do them. But, there are ways to get rid of that though.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 17

Sadly, you do need to give up going outside barefoot - flip flops are a good solution - "nearly bare" but they still give you some protection. I still go barefoot in the house though.

I get cracked heels easily if I'm not vigilant - I use a Dr. Scholl's Swedish File daily on a DRY foot, which does a great job. Just keep it clean - I scrub it off with a nail brush and soap then airdry, and replace regularly (they're only about $5). I've never liked pumice very much - doesn't seem to take off enough of the dry skin, especially on damp feet. Regularly filing off the dry skin keeps heels from building up enough of it to crack.

If my feet are really dry, I rely on Aquaphor from Eucerin (wally world has it) - it's a bit pricey but works great. Use the swedish file, dust off your feet, then slather on and follow with socks. I also use other heavy creams like body butter, etc. Aquaphor is the only expensive stuff I use though. Bag Balm is pretty good too.

I try to get a pedicure about once a month - they do a great job trimming my nails & cuticles properly but I still do a better job on my callouses

I have tried a couple of things for cracks when I get them, and Dr Scholl's seems to help. They're hard to heal once you get them though so the best thing to do is keep up the maintenance.

You definately want to check with your Dr about the nail fungus.

JodieF Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 17

I know about the prescription for the fungus, but it's very expensive and insurance won't pay for it. It can also cause liver damage, so they really don't like to use it unless it's really bad.

Jodie

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 17

I LOVE the Vicks idea!! I definately need to tell a few people about that. DH has a fungus underneath his toenails as plain as day. Actually it's not pretty at all. But he's had them tested and they can't pick up any trace of fungus whatsoever icon_confused.gif ???

If you have cracked heels AND split/dry hair then you most likely have an Omega imbalance. Yeah, I've gone on about the Omegas on another thread as a few of you know. But it's really important to get them in balance because it can cause so many problems if they're not. Flax seeds are the answer. Fish oil helps too but go the Flax first.

HerBoudoir Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 17

Didn't know about the Omega imbalance - interesting! I recently started eating flax meal (makes a great whole grain muffin) partly because I'm low carbing (I know - I still peek at the cake site!) and flax is sooo great for you - almost all fiber, plus all the nutrients in it. I make a quick microwave muffin for breakfast with it.

We'll see if that helps and if I can cut down on the heel maintenance.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 17

Here's a link that shows some of the symptoms that Omega-3 deficiency can cause http://pages.prodigy.net/unohu/efa_d.htm and then to add to that, it also contributes towards Panick Attacks, Anxiety and PMS.

If it's Flax Meal it needs to go straight into the freezer to keep it from going off (you won't be able to tell if it is off/rancid). It goes off very quickly and is most probably so when you buy it. You should buy it whole and grind it at home in the blender, then freeze it straight away.

Also to be a stick in the mud: it's highly processed foods and grains that contribute towards Omega-3 Deficiency.

Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I know about the prescription for the fungus, but it's very expensive and insurance won't pay for it. It can also cause liver damage, so they really don't like to use it unless it's really bad.

Jodie

I heard it was expensive.......that figures, it seems that the pharmaceutical companies are all raking in the dough lately. I didn't realize there were serious side effects too......definitely not worth the risk.

I spoke to one of the manicurist that works for me and she said that soaking in plain white vinegar once a day for about 10 minutes also helps toe/finger nail fungus. This along with the Vicks at night is what she recommends to her clients and she's seen results from it.

It is a slow process though, so don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away.

HerBoudoir Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

Here's a link that shows some of the symptoms that Omega-3 deficiency can cause http://pages.prodigy.net/unohu/efa_d.htm and then to add to that, it also contributes towards Panick Attacks, Anxiety and PMS.

If it's Flax Meal it needs to go straight into the freezer to keep it from going off (you won't be able to tell if it is off/rancid). It goes off very quickly and is most probably so when you buy it. You should buy it whole and grind it at home in the blender, then freeze it straight away.

Also to be a stick in the mud: it's highly processed foods and grains that contribute towards Omega-3 Deficiency.

I get flax meal from a reliable source and store it in the freezer, so I'm comfortable with that. For me, a blender wouldn't grind the flax seeds well enough, and if they're not ground well, you don't get all the benefits from using it since your body has a hard time breaking flax seeds down. A good coffee grinder works better, but I still prefer to buy it ground.

And yes - highly processed foods and grains are the culprit - but I low carb, which means I mostly eat whole foods and very few processed foods.

I still haven't quite decided what to do with my baking addiction long term LOL ah well...just dealing with getting some of the weight off for now. But I still like to pop in here from time to time.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #16 of 17

I actually DO the Vicks Vapor Rub!! A friend told me about it years ago, and it totally works. It's also really good if you (or your kids) has a cough, slather your feet in it and put socks on. I have no idea how it works, but it does. Weird, weird stuff.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Jodie

I heard it was expensive.......that figures, it seems that the pharmaceutical companies are all raking in the dough lately. I didn't realize there were serious side effects too......definitely not worth the risk.

I spoke to one of the manicurist that works for me and she said that soaking in plain white vinegar once a day for about 10 minutes also helps toe/finger nail fungus. This along with the Vicks at night is what she recommends to her clients and she's seen results from it.

It is a slow process though, so don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away.

I got a fungus and used over-the-counter anti-fungal liquid, Lotrimin AF, I believe it was called. Put it on and under your nail for like 10 days, and it should clear up the fungus. It might be a while before your nail liiks *right* again, though. Mine fell off, then grew back all bumpy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%