Does Modeling Chocolate Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By jennybean7985 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm by drakegore

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 2

im new at this and am going to try my hand at scultping a 3D design out of modeling chocolate

should i make the figures BEFORE i ice/fondant the cake? should i make them a day ahead then put them in the fridge til im ready to decorate the cake?
icon_confused.gif
after i cover the cake in fondant can it go in the fridge? i dont want it to get shiny or sweaty looking which i heard can happen icon_redface.gif

please help

1 reply
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 2

hi,

you can make the sculpted parts in advance, just like you would with fondant or gumpaste. you do not need to refridgerate, just keep them in a cool spot not in sunlight icon_smile.gif.
it actually will dry your figures a bit and make them more sturdy, though they will still be pliable (with the exception of any very thin parts). sometimes, if the need dictates i make them a couple days in advance and lightly cover them (not airtight) to dry.

you can fridge the chocolate, but you may get condensation on it when you bring it out, just like you would fondant. just don't touch it until it is dry. but i would not bother to fridge it after my figures were done as long as my house was not hot.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%