New To Caking

Decorating By crazy__caker Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 11:00am by MrsMabe

crazy__caker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy__caker Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 16

I'm new to caking-and this forum. I'm 12, and I made my first cake in December for my mum's birthday.

Since then, I've made mainly cupcakes, but also 2 cakes for my friends' birthdays. I'm trying to get better at decorating cakes, without much success icon_redface.gif
So anyway! I've bought a bunch of stuff with my pocket money. I bought a offset spatula, a REALLY cheap turntable, and a set of 28 tips w/ a rose nail, and 100 disposable piping bags.
So. I'm making a cake for my grandmother in 2 weeks.
It's going to be a basket of flowers... HELP ME! I've NEVER done basketweave and NEVER used piping bags. I'm terrified. Any help you can offer is great!

15 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 16

hello there crazy__caker, and Welcome to CC!! In order to make a basketweave pattern you need a tip 43 or 42. this is something visual so you're going to need to go to the library or barnes and noble they have tons of how to books in cake decorating. You don't have to buy the books just take a peak and see how to do the pattern it's actually quite easy. The flowers however take a little practice and the more you practice the better you'll get at it. Good Luck! Hope this helps.

ps: go tot he wilton website they have the infromation you want. WWW.Wilton.com

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 16

Hi, and welcome to CakeCentral!

I have two pieces of advice for you.

First, see if you can find either online tutorials or a book that shows you how to do basket weave and flowers. I have three Wilton Course books and they are very helpful even though I've never taken the classes.

Second, don't stress out too much! Even if your cake doesn't come out how you'd planned, your grandmother will love it. There's just something special about receiving a homemade cake from someone you love. Your decorating will not be perfect, so don't beat yourself up trying to make it be perfect. Just relax and have fun and put your heart into it.

Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 16

This will show you how to do the basket weave http://www.wilton.com/technique/Basketweave

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 16

I started at 12 -- my grandmother taught me-- it is a skill that you will always use and if you like it -- you will get better. By the age of 17 I made my first wedding cake and two anniversary cakes -- that I actually sold. I got married and had kids and my cake decorating took backseat for a long time-- but I have taken it up again and I still enjoy it as much as I ever have. So keep at it-- the more you do it, the better you get. Use online tutorials, you tube has a lot of them! I still use them and I have been doing this for over 20 years! Good luck- try and post a picture when you are done--

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 16

Hi, crazy_caker!

First of all, good for you for taking the initiative to learn something new!

Secondly, I think a basketweave tip looks best ... but you can do a basketweave with a shell tip, a round tip, or a combo of both ... if you don't have a true basketweave tip.

Happy decorating!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 16

Check out the videos on youtube! They've got great instructional videos and if you're like me who needs the visuals, you'll better understand the techniques.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 16

Yes, check out videos on Youtube. There is nothing better than actually visualizing how it is done.

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 16

HI! Welcome to the world of cakin'!!

It really is a lot of fun, and on CC, you meet tons of people who will give you help any time you need it! icon_biggrin.gif

Even bakers who have been at it for years can still learn a thing or two!!

Good luck on your basket weave! And remember, basket weave is NOT the hardest thing you will learn how to do! thumbs_up.gif

Don't forget to post your pics!! icon_wink.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 16

Just wanted to say welcome!!
Have fun!

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 16

Welcome too CC! I think you will really love this sight! I have found lots of useful videos on youtube that have taught me alot of new techniques. You should really check it out! Have fun! I'm sure your cake will be fabulous. I'd love to see the pics when you are done. icon_biggrin.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #12 of 16

Here is a video on Youtube showing how to do basket weave.

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #13 of 16

I'm 24 and have been into cake since I was 5 or so. My Aunt was an at home decorator and used to sit for hours and look through her Wilton Yearbooks. I just recently really got back into it. I did a wedding cake, and a shower cake when I was 19. and a couple of cakes her and there. My Sister and my Cousin my word of mouth go to gals right now.
My sister bought me three books by Debbie Brown which are books about gumpaste/sugarpaste modeling. Most of my cakes in my pictures section are made with fondant or gumpaste. I'm not very good with piping bags yet, I'm kind of too impatient. It starts too look good and I know it will look better and I just want to see it, so I start to rush.
So defiantly take your time, and relax and have fun with it. To help with my lack of bag experience I bought myself Hello Cupcake By Karen Tack & Alan Richardson. The piping technique shown there is a little easier for me because my hands get very achy easily. But the other suggestions for the Wilton website are spot on.
Another video site that I found fairly recently is MonkeySee.com
http://www.monkeysee.com/play/980-cake-decorating-tools
That link is a link to a professional cake decorator and she shows you step by step, start to finish for a basic 8" round cake. There are 12 videos total. The only thing I think she didn't do that I think you should try is when you put your cake on your turntable you should always put a little royal icing down before you put the cake board on, to secure the cake to the turntable.
I use flexible cutting boards to role out my fondant and gumpaste on, but this woman also uses the flexible cutting boards as practice boards for her piping bag work. This is something I can't wait to practice with it myself. And I will most certainly be watching this thread for more tips.
Good Luck, remember to have fun!
Thanks to all for the other tips in the responses, too.

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:30am
post #14 of 16

Hey, I'm 15 but my first "big" cake was basket weave, it is simpler than it looks! and If you ever feel tired or stressed while decorating, take a break other wise your cake won't turn out as good, but i think the other ladies have given you good basket weave videos, post pics of the cake when your finished! icon_biggrin.gif
Stephanie in Oregon

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:31am
post #15 of 16

Hey, I'm 15 but my first "big" cake was basket weave, it is simpler than it looks! and If you ever feel tired or stressed while decorating, take a break other wise your cake won't turn out as good, but i think the other ladies have given you good basket weave videos, post pics of the cake when your finished! icon_biggrin.gif
Stephanie in Oregon

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:00am
post #16 of 16

NicoleSprinkle, thank you so much for posting all those youtubes! I'm crap at finding that stuff on my own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%