Mamoth Cake Help Overwhelmed A Bit

Decorating By tirby Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm by tirby

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 19

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/seven-tier-classic-sampler?rsc=taxonomylist-b_cakes_traditional&lnc=f5af77c119b1d110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD

This is the Martha Stewart Seven- Tier Cassic Sampler

Ok the cake is to be delivered Saturday 5 PM August 1st
It will be 95-99 degrees and they insist on buttercream and outside. They are tenting it and putting up a pertable AC.... (wish us luck)

My question is from frozen, what is the best timeline?
I don't usually freeze cakes and have NEVER done one this big. The last time I frostd a frozen cake (after I thought it was thawed) It got a bubble under the buttercream right before delivery..... I can't have that on this cake...To much detail on the side. So I am looking to all of you MAMOTH wedding cake decorators. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When do I take it out to fill ( I would love to do that from frozen) then thaw?
Do I need to let it sit out for a little while uncovered to be sure there is no moisture on the cake icon_confused.gif ugh...
Should I crumb coat...( I normally don't, but...) and when?
I need to frost it of course and then all the detail!!!!
I would like to have it compleated Friday night by about 7pm
I think I am a bit overwhelmed...
Ok someone just lay it out for me.
Thanks for your help... I'll be glued to CC untill someone helps me!!!

18 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 19

Are you able to work all day Wed-Fri (before the wedding) on this cake or do you work a FT job with cake decorating on the side (this is what I do). It will make a difference on your time frame.

If you have all day Wed-Friday, this is what I would do: 1) After baking the cakes, make sure you wrap cooled cakes really well in cling wrap and foil. 2) On Wednesday before the wedding, bring cakes onto the counters to thaw out (keep in wrap and foil so moisture goes back into cake). It will take a few hours for them to thaw. 3) Fill and crumb coat. 4) On Thursday I would begin to ice the cakes and prepare them for decoration. Depending on how fast you ice and get the cakes looking perfect, you can also begin decorating the cakes. 5) On Friday, work on the scrollwork and stacking (unless you are going to stack the cake onsite of the reception).

This is a massive and beautiful cake you are taking on- good luck to you! I would love to see pictures after it is completed. I'm sure you will do wonderfully icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 19

I would take out of freezer and crumbcoat on Thursday. Put in fridge to thaw slowly. (hopefullyl you have a fridge empty to hold all this cake) Take out friday and frost and decorate. I have done a few hot summer weddings and when I use the hi-ratio shortening (no butter in my bc) it does fine. Try it keep it inside for as long as possible.

tirby Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks I do have Hi Ratio so thats fine. The cakes are in the freezer now and I will start on Wednesday PM with the fill and thaw overnight.

The cake is beautiful but BIG...
The weather forcast just said 100 on Saturday. oh well they know ....
I am going to stack 2 at a time for delivery... But man that seems like it will be SO HEAVY.... oh well I can do the set up and stack there at the church.
Thanks for the replys. I think I just need some encouragement ....

So any Idea on how long it will take to pipe it???
The directions I have dont tell you how many divisions are on the cake for the decorations. Like swags where the roses sit on the bottom so I just have to guess.
No I dont work other than the decorating but I do still have a family to attend to. I think I will make all the filling and massive amounts of icing today. I already have the boards covered. and am ready other than the icing and filling so WISH ME LUCK!!!!!

Any one have any ideas on how to prevent the "bubble" that appears out of nowhere?? it only happens on cakes that I froze so what do I do??

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 19

If you're going to thaw the cakes overnight, you shouldn't have any problems with bubbles popping up through the icing.

tirby Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 19

So does the time line sound right?
Wednesday fill and thaw
Thursday ice friday decorate?

Thats a LOT of decorating in 1 day I hope its enough time.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 19

That's a lot of piping for 1 day. I'd probably start on Thursday just to be safe. It wont hurt anything if you get it done early Friday and if it takes longer then anticipated you'll have plenty of time. JMO

tirby Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 19

I think I would feel better having it done early but I just dont have a frig. big enough to hold this. I do have an AC room that I can keep cool....
What do ya think

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 19

I think your time line sounds right if you think you can handle the piping. I had to decorate 3 cakes (1 3-tiered topsy turvy, football helmet w/ pokemon ball on top, & 1 Tiffany box w/ coach purse in 1 day (that also included stacking). I left them in my ac cooled kitchen & they were fine. I did drop my ac from 75 to 70, so of course we were ALL cold that night (lol), but the cakes were good. Just a suggestion, I would have them sign a waiver saying they knew full risk involved with a buttercreme cake in HOT outdoor weather. I would hate for them to come back with a complaint.

tirby Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

That's a lot of piping for 1 day. I'd probably start on Thursday just to be safe. It wont hurt anything if you get it done early Friday and if it takes longer then anticipated you'll have plenty of time. JMO

So do you mean Frost on Thursday and start the decorating
or Frost on Wednesday and then start decorating on Thursday finishing on Friday

tirby Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 19

OK NEXT QUESTION...
The Martas. book cake is done with Royal icing over fondant....My Client wants Buttercream everything.
I did make the little roses and little grapes in royal. But what do you all think on the rest.
Will butter cream hold well?
Should it be a bit stiffer than the icing I cover the cake with??

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #12 of 19

Beautiful cake! Looking forward to seeing yours when it's done. That looks like an awful lot of the piping for one day. Your hands will hurt. I would give myself at least two days to do the piping. IMO

tirby Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 19

ITS DONE>>> LOOK IN THE GALLERY

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 19

You may want to ask this lady that just posted a pic of this cake that she did. Wow, I could never do this, my wrists ache just thinking about it. LOL

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1428013

LOL! I guess I need more coffee, that's you! Again, you did a fabulous job on this cake. Please forgive the early morning stupidity. icon_wink.gif

tirby Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

You may want to ask this lady that just posted a pic of this cake that she did. Wow, I could never do this, my wrists ache just thinking about it. LOL

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1428013

LOL! I guess I need more coffee, that's you! Again, you did a fabulous job on this cake. Please forgive the early morning stupidity. icon_wink.gif

OH funny! I am there with ya...Lets go get coffee!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #16 of 19

Way to go tirby!! What did your timeline end up being and how did the cake hold up?

tirby Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Way to go tirby!! What did your timeline end up being and how did the cake hold up?

Thanks... Well timeline was this
Week prior - Bake and freeze
Monday of that week- make 5 batches of icing and the filling
( I could have waited a day on that but needed Tuesday for other things non cake related.) also royal icing rosed leaves and grapes to dry.
Tuesday...NOTHING BUT BREATH and double check instructions...
Wednesday AM- (I am up at 3) 5 am Fill and then recover with plastic wrap and thaw
Thursday- AM again I get up early.. frost all layers smallest to largest....
Eat lunch and breath (10 am for me) then return to begin piping starting with the top and working my way in order of the piping layers.
The cake has overpiping and so I started with the first piping layer on the first 3 tiers then went over that...(I hope I explained it well enough)
So by PM, I was done for the day
Friday start piping early and finish ALL of it. Adding the roses and graped last..
Saturday am I went fishing with the hubby
Checked the delivery site (very close to home) Made a call to beg the bride (friends with the family) to have it indoors It was over 100 degrees at 1 pm... She agreed and at 5 pm it was 104 brought the cake and rearranged the table for inside... we set up in the building at 6 :30 and did the finishing details. That took about 45 miniutes... Then time for pictures.....

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 19

I, too, am curious about your timeline and how it worked out for you...and the thawing issue. Looking back, how did time compare to what you allowed? Did you get hand massages afterward? I have tears in my eyes thinking about how sore you must have been! Oh, may I ask how you did the delivery? I'm not planning on doing a cake this big, I was just following your questions and wondered how it all turned out...any guesses on what the final cake weighed??? icon_wink.gif

tirby Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeesbaking

I, too, am curious about your timeline and how it worked out for you...and the thawing issue. Looking back, how did time compare to what you allowed? Did you get hand massages afterward? I have tears in my eyes thinking about how sore you must have been! Oh, may I ask how you did the delivery? I'm not planning on doing a cake this big, I was just following your questions and wondered how it all turned out...any guesses on what the final cake weighed??? icon_wink.gif

Did you get hand massages afterward?
God bless my daughter (14) who did that during the process She is an angel!

how you did the delivery?
Funny it took two trips (I an 1/4 mile from the church) in my Corolla
we took the bottom two first
the the 6-8 &10 inch were stacked and then the 12&14 inch stacked too. So thoes two stacks were trip 2

any guesses on what the final cake weighed??? We guessed at 150 But again only a guess. I know it was 16 lbs of Powder sugar that is not including the Hi ratio so the icing alone was rediculous

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%