Can I Use A Crusting Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm by Kitagrl

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all!
Can I use a crusting buttercream (made with meringue powder) under fondant or do you think it may have trouble sticking to it? Any advice please? Thanks so much!

7 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 8

You sure can!! If it has crusted really well you can lightly mist a little water over the cake or you can brush the bottom edge with some piping gel for the fondant to adhere to.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 8

Exactly what ^^^ said.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

Yes...put it int the fridge and let it cool down so it hardens and it doesnt loose shape when you add the fondant.
Edna icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

That is interesting Edna! I have never put my BC cake in the fridge before covering it with fondant as I have always been afraid of the cold BC making the fondant 'sweat'. How long do you put it in the fridge for?

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 8

I always put my cakes with BC in the fridge just for about 15 min. then add my fondant. I wouldnt leave it for too long other wise, yes the fondant will sweat.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks StaceyCakes75, the day I stop learning is the day I die!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

I find chilling a crusting buttercream, and then letting it sit out like 10 minutes (while you roll out the fondant) gets just enough condensation on the buttercream to let the fondant stick without a misting of water (which I used to do!) Although if you live somewhere dry it may not work so well.

I do refrigerate fondant...it does sweat some but dries out and nothing is affected.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%