Square Cakes, Sps & Indydebi

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm by Jannie92869

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 18

This is my first time doing square cakes.(My practice corners didn't make me happy today! Need help!) I am looking at the Wilton Serving Chart now. Can anyone suggest real sizes for tiers to meet 300 servings?

This will be my first time doing a cake this large, can I use a
SPS system to stack? I would transport it in 2 parts to the venue.

And it will be Indydebi buttercream in chocolate with champagne swirls....I need a suggested price. I know prices vary by areas but I would like to hear your suggested price with all these details.

Thanks in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 18

6/8/10/14/16 serves 18/32/50/98/128 = 308 servings
6/8/10/12/16 serves 18/32/50/72/128 = 282 servings

Buttercream cakes range from $2.50 to $5.00 or even $6.00, depending on location. I know our Alaska CC'ers have a high per serving price, but their ingredients are really expensive up there.

I'm envious you get to do a cake this size!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 18

I'm doing one in December! Except it's a main cake in the middle (without looking at the contract, trying to remember off the top of my head) a 6, 8, 10 (12? not sure) and another two 6 and 10" inch stack on both sides of that. It's gonna be hella cool!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:41am
post #4 of 18

SPS.....of course, the only way to go! I'm now a firm believer. I transported a 5 tier fully stacked.....extremely heavy, you will need strong help.

Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:49am
post #5 of 18

Thanks for those quick replies.

Indydebi--which chart did you use to get those size tiers? You are getting more than I am on this chart that I have. I just want to make sure I make a copy for my future reference. Then you said you were envious I get to do a cake that size.....well I was already apprehensive because it was huge....now I wonder what have I gotten myself into?? icon_biggrin.gif

NewNancy--I saw the SPS for the various rounds but with the sizes quoted in squares.....I am not for sure it comes that large. I've never used SPS...I bought a set but never used it..so I am familiar with what you are talking about.

One other question....The wedding is at a hotel....can I bring the cake already stacked and leave in their fridge on Sat night for a Sunday wedding? Or is that too dangerous ...like something could happen between sat night and sunday evening?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:53am
post #6 of 18

Indydebi..when you figured those prices...were you factoring in using the disposable SPS system? And the cake will also have a raspberry filling.

I just want to make sure I put out all the information. I told them I would get back with them with an estimate on Monday.

Thanks

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:41am
post #7 of 18

My pricing always factors in the SPS system being in there and disposable.

Is your raspberry filling going to cost you more? I ask this because if you are putting raspberry jelly into buttercream, I don't think you should charge more. But if you are making a raspberry curd, definitely charge more!

Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 18

Alligotmatt,
No, its not raspberry jelly so I would have the expense of doing a raspberry filling versus using buttercream as the filling.

Thanks for your reply.

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 18

Wilton Wedding Chart: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

This is the industry standard of 1x2x4. Most venues, especially hotels, cut to this size. Any more than that and you're giving cake away.

I have never delivered a cake the day before to a hotel. Understand the activity and turmoil going on in a hotel kitchen. Their refirgerator is jammed packed and busy. Plus, unless you're using a perishable filling, you don't have to refrigerate the cake anyway. I never refrigerate my cakes.

leahs will smack me down, but I haven't purchased the SPS system(s) yet, so my cakes are stacked with wooden dowels. When I do use plastic pillars or anything, I tend to just leave them. It's not worth $10 worth of gas to get $7 worth of plastic back.

Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 18

Indydebi, Thanks for the chart. The one that I was looking at was Earlene's Chart and the numbers were different. I printed this one for future references.

OK...I'll go ahead and nix the idea of a Sat night delivery for Sunday wedding. I just don't normally do cake on Sunday...that's my normal day off....but oh well....gotta do what I gotta do!

In regards to SPS I had purchased the one for use with 6/8/10 tier. Today I am doing the 6/8 tier...so I will see how it goes. I've just heard such great reviews and with the monster of a cake that I am talking about I will need all the INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL supports I can get! icon_biggrin.gif

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 18

I'm also working on "perfectly" square corners icon_sad.gif ...and getting the ribbon to lie flat against the cake. I put crisco on the ribbon to lessen the mess up with the buttercream....it just felt awful and looked real greasy.
icon_sad.gif
Any suggestions?

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 18

If your ribbon is not laying flat (gap at the top of the ribbon) then the side of the icing is not straight up and down. I wasn't even aware that I was angling my hand when smoothing the icing with my spatula. When I switched to using the bench scraper, I was able to get a true 90 degree angle, the side of the cake was PERFECTLY straight, and the ribbon laid flat.

When there is a slight angle or slope on the icing. the bottom of the icing sticks out farther. So when you attached the ribbon, the bottom of the ribbon is against the extruding slope and the top of the ribbon has a microscopic gap.

Bench scraper smoothing will fix that.

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 18

Indydebi, Did you get my email?

I just thought about this... icon_redface.gif My problem with the ribbon protruding......was attributed to the corners. I say that because I couldn't get them sharp....so I kept adding to try and sharpen.....so my corners were fatter than my middle? I hope that makes sense.

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

Indydebi, Did you get my email?

I just thought about this... icon_redface.gif My problem with the ribbon protruding......was attributed to the corners. I say that because I couldn't get them sharp....so I kept adding to try and sharpen.....so my corners were fatter than my middle? I hope that makes sense.

Yes. If any part of the side-icing is protruding, the ribbon will not lay flat.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 18

::smacks Indy::

Girl I drove up there to personally demo SPS for you.

Please resume your regularly scheduled caking.

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 18

Leahs, so I won't get in trouble.... icon_eek.gif I have purchased the sps for a smaller cake and it went well this past Saturday! I just didn't know about a cake this large. I went to Oasis and they had all the parts! SPS all the way!

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

Leahs, so I won't get in trouble.... icon_eek.gif I have purchased the sps for a smaller cake......

Brown-noser! icon_lol.gif

But leahs, I still have the SPS plate you left me as a reminder to get organized! Someday ..... soon ...... really ...... no kidding. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 18

BROWN NOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL LOL

Thanks Indydebi...I needed a laugh after all I am trying to do....which I emailed you about again.

Thanks for the laugh........I needed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%