Filling Coming Out, Way To Fix?

Decorating By Tennybird Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 7:53am by ceshell

Tennybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennybird Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake with cream cheese filling. I damned it with buttercream, but it is oozing out. Is there a way to fix this now? I crumbcoated and put it in the fridge to try and harden the cream cheese and hopefully that will work.

Any other tips?

6 replies
TabLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabLea Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

I so love cream cheese frosting...but I have had problems with it since it has warmed up out....it oozes out too much...I thought about freezing it a little to set it but then I didn't know how it would turn out once it started to thaw...I would love to know alsoicon_smile.gif I wonder if you buy the premade cream cheese frosting if it would melt as fast?

Sorry I'm no help at all...I've had the same problem

TabLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabLea Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 7

I so love cream cheese frosting...but I have had problems with it since it has warmed up out....it oozes out too much...I thought about freezing it a little to set it but then I didn't know how it would turn out once it started to thaw...I would love to know alsoicon_smile.gif I wonder if you buy the premade cream cheese frosting if it would melt as fast?

Sorry I'm no help at all...I've had the same problem

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #4 of 7

Try "cake spackle" - which is a mixture of half buttercream, half ground up cake scraps. I've never used it myself but I've seen it done here. Either that or you need to make a small batch of stiffer BC (i.e. separate some out and add ps, if you are using ps buttercream). I don't usually have a squishing problem if I refrigerate my dammed layer to get the icing firm, before adding the filling.

Oops I just reread your question; you are trying to fix it NOW, after the fact. Hm. Personally if it was oozing that bad for me, I would take the layers apart and redo the dam. That is not a great answer I know! Failing that, I would take a narrow spoon and, section by section, try to scoop the filling away from my cake edges while supporting the top layer...and then at the same time pipe in a thicker BC dam to really jam the stuff back into the cake. Does that make sense?

Tennybird Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much ladies!

I have the cake in the fridge for now and that has stopped the oozing. But once it sits out of the fridge for a little bit it starts up again. I'm worried it will be a disaster when I go to decorate it.

I do have left over scrapes and buttercream so I'll try that method. If that doesn't work I think I'm going to make a new cake. Or maybe keep that one and still serve it, but make a new cake for the bottom layer of my two tiered cake. I'm afraid it is going to be a royal mess with the weight of another cake on top of it.

This is the first time I tried this filling I guess you live and learn!

Tennybird Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:38am
post #6 of 7

A little update....

I took the cake out of the fridge this morning and scraped off all the filling that was on the outside of the cake. I then took some stiff buttercream and tried to damn it again at much as I could. Then I mixed some cake scrapes and more buttercream and when around the area again. I then used some thin buttercream to even out the cake since then it was a lot thinker in the middle. I put it back in the fridge and went on with my day.

I just had the cake out of the fridge for 3 hours decorating it and no oozing what so ever. Worked like a charm!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:53am
post #7 of 7

It sounds like you did a great repair job. Phew! Glad it all worked out for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%