What To Do About Greasy Ribbons?

Decorating By debster Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm by debster

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 7

I have to use real ribbon on a cake tomorrow and it's the gross grain (whatever it's called) How do I get the grease not to show it's buttercream? Thanks for any information!!!!

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 7

Hi,

I absolutely hate when the oil from the bc makes the ribbon darker then you need, it's frustrating isn't it?

If I use real ribbon, I line the back of the ribbon with either wax paper or clear tape cut to the width of the ribbon.

Some people here have suggested "greasing" the back of the ribbon so that it at least will be one consistent color, however that will make the ribbon darker in color so if you're trying to stay true to the color I wouldn't suggest this method.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 7

dkelly is right about the grease changing the color of the ribbon. Navy blue will turn black when pre-greased. Most colors are ok ... you should definitely test it first.

If you're using a good crusting BC, allow the BC to crust before applying the ribbon. grease stains appear when wet spots on the icing come in contact with the ribbon. When the icing is crusted, there is no wet spot to stain the ribbon.

debster Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:27am
post #4 of 7

I left it crust over night but what do you apply to the ribbon to get it to stick? Thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I left it crust over night but what do you apply to the ribbon to get it to stick? Thanks

One blop of BC icing. You may have one grease spot but it's in the back where no one will see it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 7

I just roll the ribbon out around the tier and secure with either a little royal icing or buttercream at each end (where the ribbon ends will meet). I don't "attach" the entire ribbon length to the cake....so it's just "lying" against the tier. Hopefully I'm explaining myself clearly, (I'm still on my first cup of coffee) LOL!

When I set the cake up I place the "seam" towards the back of the cake where it won't be as visible, or place the flowers or whatever decoration there is right at the seam.

debster Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

Ok I'll do it on the sides not the front, the bad part about this cake is it's PLAIN just a ribbon and a topper so you know how any and every flaw shows. Grrrrrrrrrr..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%