Grand Opening

Business By PartyCake Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm by cylstrial

PartyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyCake Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 7

Since I have no idea if 1 or 100 people will be attending my Grand Opening in a few weeks I was thinking of letting the children who attend decorate brownies cut into flip flop shapes instead of cake. I figure I would have to either crumb coat the cakes myself which would be time consuming and a waste if I made too many and no one showed up or if there are a lot of people the kids would get bored waiting for the cakes to set up. Any thoughts on the brownie method instead of cake? I do have a 7ft. float cake that I made for the 4th of July Parade that the kids could take a photo in front of and a give away every hour but not sure if this is enough activity for a Grand Opening. I don't want to go broke before I start out either so am trying to keep the costs down. I don't think it would be a good idea to charge a small fee for decorating the brownies but wonder what others think about that.

6 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 7

what about cupcakes with prefilled icing bags, and bottles of sprinkles set out? That way you won't have to do that much clean up. Will the brownies be self-contained? or will you need to cut them up, then plate them, etc?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 7

Purchases are one thing, then the customer pays. But demos or hands-ons at a grand opening, I think charging would be taboo.

I like the brownie idea. You could use licorice shoelaces or Pull N Peels for the straps, the jimmies, confetti, quins, to decorate. Maybe a piping bag or two so they can print their name on. And you could even have someone cut them as they come up. The leftover brownies could be cut into squares and sold.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:23am
post #4 of 7

Pre iced cuppies and a huge selection of candy. I find that the kids at bday parties are more interested in the gooey sweet stuff than the cake anyway. Good thoughts and wishes for your new business....

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:52am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Pre iced cuppies and a huge selection of candy. I find that the kids at bday parties are more interested in the gooey sweet stuff than the cake anyway. Good thoughts and wishes for your new business....

I like this idea. Less muss, less fuss. If you provide icing bags, I would think you would havew to have one per child for sanitation reasons. A small nut cup of various candy decorations and a cupcake or a mini cupcake sounds like it would make the little ones very happy, be neater and cleaner and would be much easier for you.

PartyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyCake Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going more the candy route for the toppings and less the sprinkle route since those sprinkles get everywhere. I used to do chocolate making parties for children for 3 years and still see those sprinkles on the floor (which I had to sweep up all day) in my sleep.

The licorice or fruit by the foot should work out well for the straps. I will have to look into flip flop cookie cutters now online since I haven't seen them in any of the Party Stores. I'm not sure how well they would work for cake but I think would cut into brownies fine. I guess I could just make a template too and save the money.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 7

I think I'd go with the cupcakes too! You could even make mini ones. The kids could still dab a bit of frosting on the cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%