Shimmery, Sparkly Effect On Fondant. How??

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:02am by Rylan

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

I want to order either luster dust, pearl dust, or something to get a shimmery sparkly effect on fondant cakes. I am placing an order on globalsugarart. Does anyone have any advice? I've just never ordered anything like that and see there are lots of colors also. Can I just get one that will do any color cake? White maybe? Thanks!

6 replies
kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 7

You can get Super Pearl which can be used over any color fondant, I even mix it with colors & Vodka if I'm painting items. I really like to use the pearl air brush liquid (but I have an air brush) and use it to spray the whole cake when I'm done. You "might" be able to put it in a fine mist spray mister or spray bottle and spritz your cake - A lot easier than dusting the whole darn thing! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for the reply!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 7

The dusts are all different.

Petal Dust - comes in many colors, but is NOT shiny. I use this for coloring GP flowers and figures and also painting on cakes.

Luster Dust - comes in many colors, and is shiny. I use this for painting on cakes.

If you want your cake to just have a shiny finish, super pearl is the way to go like the PP suggested. If you want it shiny gold or shiny silver you will have to get the gold or silver luster dust.

FYI you can get super pearl from Wilton in any Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 7

I've read several posts that suggested holding the item over steam quickly so I tried it w/gp/fondant letters....OMG what a difference!!! My shimmery gold and bronze popped. It looked gorgeous.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #6 of 7

I've read several posts that suggested holding the item over steam quickly so I tried it w/gp/fondant letters....OMG what a difference!!! My shimmery gold and bronze popped. It looked gorgeous. Thanks to all for the suggestions!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 7

Try the Crystal Colors. They are FDA approved and a little goes a long way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%