Lego Power Miners Ideas?

Decorating By bamberc Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm by bamberc

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 8

My son wants a Lego "Power Miners" birthday party and cake. I am at such a loss. I have tried for 2 months to convince him to have a Star Wars party-even showed him pictures of the R2D2 cakes on here-Oh, he thinks they are awesome and great, but still wants Power Miners. Does anyone else have a little boy obsessed with these? Do you have any ideas for a cool cake? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
graciecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciecakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 8

How about the crystal Sweeper for the cake?

graciecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciecakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

How about the crystal Sweeper for the cake?

bamberc Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 8

I thought about doing either that or the Thunder Driller (He wants both of those for his birthday-yeah, right.), but take a look at my photos-I'm not so sure I could pull either one of them off. I don't know how to do things like the wheels and other "attachment" type decorations that would need to be done to make it look good. He's really into the Rock Monsters, and plays some of the games on the website, so I thought I could make a giant Rock Monster-it seems like it would be about the same execution-wise as an R2D2 cake-you know, the cake I REALLY wanted to make him. The only thing is the rock monsters are the "villains". I don't know, am I totally overanalyzing this?

LindseyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyM Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:19am
post #5 of 8

I am facing the same dilemma as I also don't think I could pull off the level of detail needed for a replica - and I guess in that case I could just stick the actual Lego set on top of a flat cake!!! icon_lol.gif At present I am thinking of trying to do the Crystal King - maybe bursting up out of the top of a flat cake so that I only need to make half a figure but I've never done a figure before either so this might be hard too. If I have a brilliant moment of inspiration I'll post again. Good Luck - if you succeed I would be very grateful to see a photo of your creation.

bamberc Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 8

When is your son's party? Ours is is Sept 12. I really still haven't decided what to do. I'm hoping an "aha" moment will come in the next few weeks!

LindseyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyM Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:24am
post #7 of 8

It's at the end of September so I'm afraid I won't be done before you. javascript:emoticon('icon_wink.gif') However, I think I've decided on something! Following on from your R2D2 idea, I'm going to make a model of one of the small rock monsters. I found a good picture on here of a garden gnome and a penguin which look about the right scale to follow. The rock monster would be mostly grey but I'm going to experiment with making shards of melted coloured boiled sweets to make the shiny body inserts. I even thought he could hold a sort of fistful of candles or sparklers to look like crystals or dynamite. This weekend I'm making a fairy toadstool cake for my daughter (wish me luck javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif')- this website is SO great - must get around to putting up some pictures of my own creations - yours are much more skilled than mine though! Let me know how you get on.

bamberc Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

The party was yesterday and the cake turned out awesome! It is in my photos if you would like to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%