Cutting Layers Out Of Sheet Cakes???

Decorating By CakeDiane Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm by joknee

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 12

I've noticed that some of the people on TV do this--they make sheet cakes and then, for example, cut out two or three 8" rounds to stack for their cake.

I was just wondering if there's anyone out there in CC-land who does this and why do you like doing it that way? Do you have any tips on doing it successfully? Do you find there's a lot of wasted cake?

Thanks!

11 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 12

In a high yielding bakery that is a time and space saver. They don't have to store all kinds of differnent shaped pans-just the cake rings to cut the difernt sizes with. They can also get a few layers out of one sheet pan and that cuts down on the individual number of pans to prepair and wash. They can run their oven at one temperature and have one set time from all their pans to bake because they are the same size thought it will varry some by recipe. Thats what I heard anyhow. icon_biggrin.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 12

hi i have one how do you cut a sheet cake into layers without falling apart Thanks

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 12

I also do this sometimes. I do it for several reasons, depending on the cake. Sometimes, it's because I'm using a delicate batter that does not lend itself to being baked in a traditional cake pan, so I bake the sheets, cut the appropriate sizes and build the cake that way. I also do this when I only want a thin sheet of cake to use as the base or component for a molded mousse cake or other such dessert. Also, while i don't do sheet cakes, professionally, when i have, I prefer to bake thin sheets of cake, rather than a 2-3" thick layer and have to torte it to fill it. If you bake it in thin sheets all you do is fill and stack... it's a time saver. And sometimes I do it simple because I don't have the size pan I need and this is an easy way to customize without having to buy a size pan that I might only use that one time.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 12

I guess they waste so much cake because their prices allow it, they don't charge $1 or $2 a serving and they rather save in space and time because they make so many cakes!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:10am
post #6 of 12

WOW! I never fail to learn something here ! THANKS !

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:41am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I guess they waste so much cake because their prices allow it, they don't charge $1 or $2 a serving and they rather save in space and time because they make so many cakes!

That's probably part of it, but they can also use the scraps for spackle or cake balls!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 12

There are oh so many uses for that cake scrap pieces. One bakery did the cakes in sheets as a total time and space saver, but also for the scraps. They made various trifles that were huge sellers and used the cake scraps for that. Many days were ran out of scraps and needed more for the trifles. It is not really so much a waste as carefull planning. I also liked the look of the finished cake especially for weddings, the whole cake was white.

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 12

I like the idea of baking thin sheets instead of torting, but what do you do about doming? No matter what I do , I get a dome in the top of my cakes!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 12

Try baking at a lower temp for a longer time. Sheet cakes are also thinner for the most part and not 2 inches thick. That helps a lot in baking them.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joknee

I like the idea of baking thin sheets instead of torting, but what do you do about doming? No matter what I do , I get a dome in the top of my cakes!

I started using the Wilton baking strips but those things are horrible, no matter how long I soaked them they burned in the oven, so now I put a container with water in a lower rack of my oven and the cake on a middle rack and I never get a dome, I guess it's the vapor that prevents it, I waste a whole rack of baking space but it's ok with me, you should try this to see if it works for you too. HTH

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone. I will try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%