How Do You Dowel A 3 Tier Fondant Cake?

Decorating By mommy2sweetpeas Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm by sadsmile

mommy2sweetpeas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2sweetpeas Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I know I should dowel the 2nd and bottom tiers with a large dowel (going thru both), but do you put one thru the very top tier too ? How do you make it secure enough to travel?

Thanks!
Tina icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 6

Isn't three central dowels is 2 too many?
You should have dowels in the bottom tier to support the middle tier close to the edge or the middle tier for the middle tier to rest on. And dowels in the middle tier to support the top tier around and close to the edge of the top tier for it to rest on. Then one central dowel through the middle or just off center from the middle going through all the tiers to the bottom being just a little shorter so the top of the dowel once driven through the whole cake is just below the surface of the top of the top tier-which you can camoflouge with a bit of icing or fondant or decorations

sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 6

here watch this. Tonedna1 is a great teacher.

mommy2sweetpeas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2sweetpeas Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

i know that i only need one center dowel thru the hole cake (my wording was confusing on my post i guess), but what do i do when there is no topper on a fondant cake....just dowel thru the 2 bottom tiers? won't a fondant patch be very visible?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 6

You can make a hole on the bottom of the top tier, that way you can just slide it through.

sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

or you could use sps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%