What Is The Best Tasting Clear Vanilla?

Decorating By madras650 Updated 24 May 2013 , 4:13pm by JORDANCL

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #31 of 52

I have seen Watkins in some grocery stores and at supertarget! Love it, but also love the Lorann's the best. But have to order it online, no stores around here cary it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #32 of 52

i hope our new walmart has it, the old walmart has very little to offer in such things like baking. even their butter is more expensive then our local stores and since our local stores are in a place everything's trucked in- Usually makes it more expensive then walmart brands. (our nearest walmarts an hour away btw)

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #33 of 52

I may be a weirdo, but I refuse to use imitation vanilla. I don't care if my buttercream is ivory. It's real. It may be a different story if I was a professional instead of a for-fun caker, but I doubt it.

Simplydelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simplydelicious Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #34 of 52

I use Sauers, it think they have some of the best flavorings.

GenGen Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #35 of 52

something else to keep in mind for those who prefer to use real vanilla (non clear) is that some companies- i know wilton does- makes a White food colorant. this may be available in other brands too. feel free to use whatever vanilla you wish, if you need white, just add the white colorant.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #36 of 52

Dancy clear Mexican vanilla is my favorite. You can usually purchase it on ebay. It is really strong so it should last a while.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

something else to keep in mind for those who prefer to use real vanilla (non clear) is that some companies- i know wilton does- makes a White food colorant. this may be available in other brands too. feel free to use whatever vanilla you wish, if you need white, just add the white colorant.

I have used this in BC with good results. Do you know if it works for fondant or rolled BC, as well? I'm going to attempt my first rolled BC batch tomorrow and debated between using regular vanilla, which would tint it, or lemon extract, which wouldn't. It's for a personal cake, so it doesn't matter which I choose.

GenGen Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #38 of 52

no i haven't used it in fondant etc sorry but please keep me up to date on your experience i'd love to hear how it went (and see!) icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #39 of 52

I actually prefer the taste of clear vanilla in buttercream. I use regular vanilla in cookies and things but when it is the 'main' taste I like clear.

I like Adam's extract's clear vanilla and clear butter. You can order it from their website in pints and gallons and I think it is a decent price. icon_smile.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #40 of 52

I found the CVS imitation vanilla for .99. They said they didn't carry clear. I've never been a fan of fake vanilla because I read that it was made from wood. But I'm going to try it with my practice desserts. Also You can find Watkins vanilla at Super Walmart and Super Target. I'm lucky There's a Watkins store not far from me. I used to order on line but the shipping cost are terrible.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #41 of 52

I like Adam's too. I just checked the website. It's 28.00 a gallon. Their powdered vanilla is good also. I make pies for my daughter's coffee shop and have used several, including Mexican (more than one brand), real vanilla, etc. I was out one day and had to use the Adam's clear. It has a great flavor!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:55am
post #42 of 52

I live in a small town in Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada, and it is so hard to find good stuff here for quality pricing. I have never had to order things online but I was finding Wilton's clear vanilla to be very alcohol smelling and tasting and very very expensive (like $9 for a 500 mL bottle!!). I found Dawn Bakery Magic clear vanilla at a local wholesale store and paid $23.00 for 4 Litres!! icon_biggrin.gif I really like that one and find it adds a great taste to my icing. icon_smile.gif

I don't think something made from wood is necessarily a bad thing, if imitation vanilla is made that way! Most things I eat grow from the ground anyways. LMAO!

I like using the Kirkland vanilla (non clear) whenever I can and in my fondant if it doesn't need to be white, but for my butter cream I always use the clear. Michelle Fosters fondant directions say that the white color stuff can be used to tint her off-white fondant to white.

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #43 of 52

I don't use the clear, I use regular and I can not see and color difference from when I have used it. I have made my own vanilla by putting split vanilla beans in a bottle and adding good vodka I leave it set for about 2 months. When I make cheese cakes I use it because when at the bottom of the bottle you get the flecks of the seeds. Has anyone used the vanilla powder?

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

Dancy clear Mexican vanilla is my favorite. You can usually purchase it on ebay. It is really strong so it should last a while.

I also use exclusively Dancy vanilla imported from Mexico. I have both the regular (dark) that I use in cakes and the clear that I use for my buttercream. There's an Amish settlement near my in-laws that has a bulk food store. I visit regularly because I can get the vanilla and H&H sleeve fillings at an amazingly low price. I can purchase 1 liter of vanilla for $9.50, and the fillings are approximately 1/3 less than what I can find elsewhere. I also get other spices and ingredients there.

heavenlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlycakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #45 of 52

Wilton clear tastes like alcohol... I only use Lorann Clear vanilla because it tastes like vanilla. Any professional cake supply store that I've gone to in NY sells all Lorann products, so I'd trust what the pros use...

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #46 of 52

I also like Watkins, and have seen it in Wal-Mart, cake supply stores, family-owned drug stores, and even antique stores! I did check it out on their Website, and had them ship me a catologue, but as someone else mentioned, the shipping is outrageos!

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #47 of 52

Double post, sorry!

dp2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dp2011 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #48 of 52

i use Mexican vanilla. not sure the brand name but I get it at any Bazaar!!

dp2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dp2011 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #49 of 52

i use Mexican vanilla. not sure the brand name but I get it at any Bazaar!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm
post #50 of 52

I have a question about the LorAnn stuff -- is it a Vanilla Extract they have or is it one of the candy oils in Vanilla flavor or is it an emulsion?

crazielady38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazielady38 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #51 of 52

I found a brand called Goodman's. They call it white vanilla instead of clear. I went to the web
site you can get a gallon bottle for $13.25. It is also double strength. Just to warn everyone the bottles are made of real glass! Real old school company,but they have a wide range of extracts. I really like this brand. The price is not bad either. thumbs_up.gif

JORDANCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JORDANCL Posted 24 May 2013 , 4:13pm
post #52 of 52

So is all clear vanilla and butter flavoring imitations thats all I have ever seen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%