Wedding Cake Dilemmas

Business By gfbakergirl88 Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 3:06am by gfbakergirl88

gfbakergirl88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbakergirl88 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 13

Dilemma #1
First off I am new to cake decorating. A friend of mine has asked me to do her wedding cake which they will be paying me for. The wedding is not until June of 2010. Sometime in the near future I would like to have my own business doing only gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan cakes. We have discussed this and she is completely against having a gluten-free cake/s. I really want to do the cake for her, but it puts me in a compromising place. I am afraid that if I do a "regular" cake for her that other people will ask me to do "regular" cakes for them, and I would like to keep my bakery 100% gluten-free. Do I be the good friend and do regular cakes for her or say sorry I only do gluten free?

Dilemma #2
How soon if I do decide to do the cake should I have the design finalized?She has already decided that she wants square cakes, with a pool blue rope border for sure. She also wants a cake for each table. Can someone tell me how this works? I was thinking a 3 tier for the wedding party table and 2 tiers for each table of 10, the smaller cakes would have the same border as the larger cake, and a gerber daisy. However, she just wants a double layer cake. Would it not look better to do 2 tiers than a single, and if so how do I convince her that this will be the better choice.

Thanks for the help!!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 13

Welcome to CC, fellow Hoosier! It's the best place for all things cake!! Where in Indy are you?

Specializing in gluten-free doesn't mean you can't do "regular" cakes also. If you plan to open a business down the road, what is the market for a 100% gluten free bakery? Are there enough customers to support something like that? (And I have no idea .... I'm asking.)

If you have 100 people at a wedding and none of them are in the market for a gluten free cake, then your purpose in serving them gluten free would be ..... ? icon_confused.gif (And I have no idea .... I need you to educate me.)

I would think that getting the word out on how great your cakes are, how well decorated they are, would get people talking about you. For them to be able to add, "oh sure! She can do a gluten free for you!" is just icing on the cake (so to speak!) icon_lol.gif

Issue #2:
A 2 tier cake on each table of 10? What size cakes were you going to make? Because a 6" round by itself will serve 12.

A 3-tier cake just for the wedding party? A 6/8/10 cake serves 74. How many are in this wedding party?

I have two blog entires re: centerpiece cakes in my blog. http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/centerpiece%20cake If you find it helpful, you might direct your bride to them and then see what she really wants to do. If she's for spending all the extra money, then go for it!

gfbakergirl88 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 13

Thanks for your help. I am in southern Indianapolis, and yes I have done the research and as far as I know there are currently no legal bakeries in my area that cater to people with food allergies. I have talked to many people in my area that have the need to be gluten-free, or have other food allergies. The problem with doing cakes with gluten and gluten-free cakes is cross-contamination, I don't want to be the one responsible for causing a child to have an allergic reaction.

Like I said, I am new to cake decorating and this will be my first wedding cake/s. The bride already knows that there will be extra cake, and plans to have cake boxes on the table for people to take home.

I know it would be more work, but wouldn't it look more "weddingish" if the cakes are 2 tiers rather than a single tier. The bride is conserned that people will have problems cutting the cake if it is 2 tiers. I am trying to convince her that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. For the 2 tier cakes I was thinking 6" and 4" squares, and for the wedding cake 8" 6" and 4". The servings are going to be more than normal for a wedding because people will be cutting the cakes themselves.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 13

Yes, welcome to CC!! There are a few things to consider:

Will the venue that you are delivering to allow cakes from a source other than a licensed kitchen? (there are several venues in Indy and Greenwood with restrictions)

If the bride is paying for a "regular" cake, then why should she get a gluten-free? If you are strictly going to be gluten free, then don't do the cake. If you are going to do it as a favor to her, then you can simply explain that to anyone who questions it.

Will you have a vehicle to deliver all of these cakes--- it is A LOT of cake-- how many people is she having at the reception?? icon_eek.gif

As far as look of two tier versus one tier, it is really up to the bride at that point. While I think that a two tier is cute on its own, in a hall with several other tables, a single tier would still look good--IMHO.

Also, welcome to CC__ IT is an awseome and addicting place-- back to frost some cakes!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 13

I did centerpiece cakes for our daughter's wedding. One tier, 6" round. it was plenty of cake for each table.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 13

gccowgirl...thanks for the cross-contamination education...I hadn't thought of that, so my first reaction really WAS "oh just do the regular cake...what's the big deal?" Yikes...it IS a big deal!

gfbakergirl88 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you. I hadn't thought of the venue not letting me bring in the cake since im not licensed. I will have to talk to her about it. The reception is at the Rathskellar(sp?). in downtown Indianapolis, do know off hand if they allow unlicensed bakers? There will be 300 people at the wedding.

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcowgirl2008

Dilemma #1
First off I am new to cake decorating. A friend of mine has asked me to do her wedding cake which they will be paying me for. The wedding is not until June of 2010. Sometime in the near future I would like to have my own business doing only gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan cakes. We have discussed this and she is completely against having a gluten-free cake/s. I really want to do the cake for her, but it puts me in a compromising place. I am afraid that if I do a "regular" cake for her that other people will ask me to do "regular" cakes for them, and I would like to keep my bakery 100% gluten-free. Do I be the good friend and do regular cakes for her or say sorry I only do gluten free?

Dilemma #2
How soon if I do decide to do the cake should I have the design finalized?She has already decided that she wants square cakes, with a pool blue rope border for sure. She also wants a cake for each table. Can someone tell me how this works? I was thinking a 3 tier for the wedding party table and 2 tiers for each table of 10, the smaller cakes would have the same border as the larger cake, and a gerber daisy. However, she just wants a double layer cake. Would it not look better to do 2 tiers than a single, and if so how do I convince her that this will be the better choice.

Thanks for the help!!

Hi there i also do vegan, diabetic and alagery specialty cakes and these cakes are very dear to my heart i do them because i feel everyone should get to feel special and not be left out on the sweets for any reason. that being said i also do "regular" cakes as well. because if i dont do regular cakes it goes against the everyone feeling special! as a vegan my self this is how i thought of it as if i took a meat eating friend to a total vegan restaurant how rude would that be to completely leave them out!

gfbakergirl88 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer

Quote:

Dilemma #1

Dilemma #2

Thanks for the help!!

Hi there i also do vegan, diabetic and alagery specialty cakes and these cakes are very dear to my heart i do them because i feel everyone should get to feel special and not be left out on the sweets for any reason. that being said i also do "regular" cakes as well. because if i dont do regular cakes it goes against the everyone feeling special! as a vegan my self this is how i thought of it as if i took a meat eating friend to a total vegan restaurant how rude would that be to completely leave them out!

DisneyDreamer- You definately have a point. The bride said she has another friend that does cakes as well, and would see if she could recruit her to bake the cakes, and then I would do all the decorating....How do you keep from cross contaminating?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 13

With the gluten-free it really is hard to avoid cross-contamination. It isn't as difficult with vegan, obviously, but the gluten is an issue. There's a woman in my area who has a dedicated bakery that does gluten-free cakes, and she said that she's so sensitive to gluten, she will sometimes react to other people's gluten-free products. For some people it's similar to a severe food allergy where a trace amount of something can be dangerous.

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #11 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer

Quote:

Dilemma #1

Dilemma #2

Thanks for the help!!

DisneyDreamer- You definately have a point. The bride said she has another friend that does cakes as well, and would see if she could recruit her to bake the cakes, and then I would do all the decorating....How do you keep from cross contaminating?

when it comes to specialty cakes like that i am a freak i have three sets of everything marked according. as a vegan have a different mind set so its very easy for me.

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 13

cgcowgirl, when you do get things up and going, please let me know where you're located! I'm in Indiana as well and I have 2 members of my family who are celiac. It would be great to know where to get safe cakes for them! I can't make them in my kitchen, as all my utensils and the environment in general are gluten contaminated. It will be awesome to find a place that can really provide them with a good dessert!

gfbakergirl88 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #13 of 13

Will do percussiongrrl. It will be a while before I can get anything going. I am in Indianapolis, just north of Greenwood.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%