How About A Cake Decorating Book Recommendation

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm by txnonnie

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 11

Looking to invest in a book or two. I've never bought any cake decorating books so if you can recommend something, I'd like to hear about it.

-Stacey

10 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 11

Wilton has good beginner books...detailed directions, batter and frosting/fondant amts per pan, cutting charts.....the only thing I wouldn't do is buy all their products. See if there is a cake supply store in your area...the selection will be larger and better quality (less expensive too).

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 11

Lindy Smith books are very detailed on how to make the cakes.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 11

I think I'd like something more intermediate than Wilton. Books that show more technical design techniques.

I'd love to learn some sugar art, lambeth, books that show stenciling, brush embroidery, gum paste, etc.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 11

Toba Garrett has a Professional Cake Decorating book. It's a bit pricey but I found mine on overstock.com at a reduced rate. It has a lot of techniques.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 11

I vote for Toba Garrett also...exquisite stuff...JMHO of course icon_lol.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 11

I vote for Toba Garrett also...exquisite stuff...JMHO of course icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 11

I love Lindy Smith's books as well. Colette Peters has a pretty new book out called Wedding cakes or something like that. It has a bunch of detailed flowers pictures in the back (which I really liked). I'll go try and find the link.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #9 of 11

LOL. Ok, so it turns out it's not new. It was just new at my library. They received it and stamped it in 2008, so I assumed it was new. I looked it up on Amazon for you and it was published in 1995. But I still liked the drawings. So here it is in case your interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316702706/?tag=cakecentral-20

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #10 of 11

Love Toba Garrett! Also, the International School of S ugar craft series by Nicholas Lodge is wonderful!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 11

I just saw a book called Confetti Cakes and it has some good instructions. Collette Peters has some instructional ones as well. Also I have a Kerry Vincent one that has some good instructions...just wish it has a picture of all the tools used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%