Zebra Stripe Cake, But Customer Doesn't Want Fondant

Decorating By JanineCash Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:19am by Parable

JanineCash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanineCash Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

Any suggestions on how to make a clean looking zebra stripe without using fondant? My customer wants buttercream , but I'm not suure as to how to et the black zebra strips smooth.

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

I would ask if they would be okay with using a buttercream base, but just make the stripes out of fondant.

If that's a no go, then I would probably suggest using a writing tip to make strip outlines, fill them in with a #10 tip, then smooth over it with a Viva paper towel after it has crusted over. Might not get perfectly smooth, but considering what they asked for, I think it would turn out alright.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 6

I'd stencil it.

CookieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieGirl Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 6

I'd pipe the black zebra stripes out of black buttercream onto plastic sheets and freeze them ...like a frozen butercream transfer, then attach while still frozen, bending some of them over the edges as they slowly thaw. icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGirl

I'd pipe the black zebra stripes out of black buttercream onto plastic sheets and freeze them ...like a frozen butercream transfer, then attach while still frozen, bending some of them over the edges as they slowly thaw. icon_biggrin.gif

I second this suggestion

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGirl

I second this suggestion icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%