"bench Scraper" ??

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 8:22am by Unlimited

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so I went to the Home Depot to buy a " bench scraper" to smooth the buttercream. They looked at me like I was speaking a different language. Do I have the name correct?

15 replies
Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 16

I know that the bench scraper that I use for icing I got from a culinary store. You should be able to find one at any place that specializes in stuff like that.

cathie_shinnick Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks, thats where I was going to go, but I read somewhere that I could also get one at a hardware store.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 16

Go to your Williams Sonoma or Bed, Bath 'n Beyond....some place like that. They'll know what you're talking about! thumbs_up.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 16

Go to your Williams Sonoma or Bed, Bath 'n Beyond....some place like that. They'll know what you're talking about! thumbs_up.gif

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 16

That's funny. When i went on the search for mine at bed.bath & beyond and told them what I was looking for they were like WHAT...well it is actually a chopper it's stainless steel and the handle is rolled. I found it in the utensil section. It was like $5.99 and hanging on the end of a rack.

It works great with smoothing...good luck finding it...

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Thats true. I got mine from Williams-Sonoma. I think its called a dough scraper (or something like that).

HTH

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

That's funny. When i went on the search for mine at bed.bath & beyond and told them what I was looking for they were like WHAT...well it is actually a chopper it's stainless steel and the handle is rolled. I found it in the utensil section. It was like $5.99 and hanging on the end of a rack.

I found the same one at Target icon_biggrin.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 16

If you buy it from a hardware store, it's not called a bench scraper, lol. It's actually a tool to smooth plaster or something like that. If I'm not mistaken, you can find it in the paint section icon_smile.gif

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 16

I think the one you can get at Home Depot is used to spackle walls.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 16

I know Wilton now sells one as well! I've seen them at Michaels with all the other yellow tools they put out last year

cathie_shinnick Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

Thats exactly what I was looking for and described to the 2 guys and 1 woman. lol. i did see all of the paint scrapers and masonry tools and grout tools. I will head to BB&B tonight. Thanks

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 16

Go to the paint section. You'll want a 4", and 12" plastic putty knife.

Mike

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 16

Thats it Mike, I have a set, bought from Home Depot. Love them. Have also bought a diamond pattern paint can holder too. Oh Yeah!
Hammy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #15 of 16

It really is called a bench scraper in the biz. The worktable that a pastry chef works at is called "the bench." You periodically need to scrape dough off the bench, hence you use a "bench scraper."

Just like the flour you use to dust the bench before kneading dough is called "bench flour." It's just flour - on the bench.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:22am
post #16 of 16

It's also used for cutting dough.

Pfeil & Holing, N.Y. (cakedeco.com) has the good ones (Dexter) on sale for only $1.50... heck, you can barely get a plastic scraper for less than that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%