Bc With Hiratio Not Crusting As We Speak - What Is Wrong???

Decorating By Peridot Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm by JanH

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #31 of 45

I had never heard of this till the other day on here. Is it a special kind of shortening? Are you trying this new shortening in an old recipe? If it is something that is new and different You might even try to contact that company that makes it and tell them what you are trying to do with it and what you need. They may be able to come up with what changes you need to make to your recipe. That is if it isn't just that You used too much shortening. I have made Indydebi's icing twice and I love it. It tastes good and crusts good, but no matter what you put in it might be the new shortening also. Somebody mentioned that they thought a recipe called for Meringue powder, but if they were talking about Indydebi's recipe it is different. It calls for a package of Dreamwhip. No, actually it calls for 3 T. dreamwhip. I didn't catch that the first time I made it and just put the whole package in, but it still was very good.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #32 of 45

Here is Sharon,s recipe Hope this helps i hope I do not get in trouble for posting this I copied it from my video

Sharon's Crusting Butlercream Icing:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

Y outube clip of Sharon making icing:
http://www.youtube.comlwatch?v=zB4ibkHOV_4

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

I had never heard of this till the other day on here. Is it a special kind of shortening? Are you trying this new shortening in an old recipe? If it is something that is new and different You might even try to contact that company that makes it and tell them what you are trying to do with it and what you need. They may be able to come up with what changes you need to make to your recipe. That is if it isn't just that You used too much shortening. I have made Indydebi's icing twice and I love it. It tastes good and crusts good, but no matter what you put in it might be the new shortening also. Somebody mentioned that they thought a recipe called for Meringue powder, but if they were talking about Indydebi's recipe it is different. It calls for a package of Dreamwhip. No, actually it calls for 3 T. dreamwhip. I didn't catch that the first time I made it and just put the whole package in, but it still was very good.

yes it is a special kind of shortening,

It is one hundred percent fat with added emulsifiers, white in color and does not contain any added salt or water. The difference between high ratio shortening and regular shortening is that it contains microemulsifiers that allows your mixture to hold more sugar and liquid. It also gives a finer and smoother texture, as well as keeps icings more stable with a less greasy mouth feel.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #34 of 45

I went to my local Cash 'N Carry & asked if they had hi-ratio. They told me they can get Wesson's super Quik Blend. So I looked on the internet & only found that it was Cake & Icing shortening. i emailed Wesson & they said yes it was hi-ratio. so I went back & got a 50 lb block for less than $60 including tax. I gave it a try & I will never go back to Crisco!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:36am
post #35 of 45

I have never gone to any classes or had any instructors but I use merinque powder in my butter cream and it always crusts....I guess I could try it without sometime just to see if that makes a difference.....I also think if it looks too creamy I add a bit more sugar and then it crusts also. I don't see high ratio shortening anywhere so I guess I keep crisco

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #36 of 45

I love it! I can't remember which brand I use. I'm going to make the trip to buy some today. I can't get it in my local area, but I'm combining errands and will pick some up today about 60 miles away. My only other option is buying it off the internet and the shipping is a bear.

I use Sugarshack's icing and I love it, but mine doesn't crust as much as I'd like so I've decided for this next batch I'm going to cut back on the amount of shortening I use and see if it helps. I'm not sure how much to cut back on. I use the recipe for the 6 qt. KA. Maybe I could just add more powdered sugar. Either way, I'm going to try to tweak it some.

Lisa

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I have never gone to any classes or had any instructors but I use merinque powder in my butter cream and it always crusts....I guess I could try it without sometime just to see if that makes a difference.....I also think if it looks too creamy I add a bit more sugar and then it crusts also. I don't see high ratio shortening anywhere so I guess I keep crisco

The meringue powder issue has been a raging debate for years and years and years... icon_rolleyes.gif I have a buttercream recipe that I give my students with various options -- meringue powder, hi ratio, new crisco etc. and the results of what happens when you use whatever variant. And, believe it or not, these things DO make a difference!! Then I tell them to go out and try it themselves and make it their own. icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

The meringue powder issue has been a raging debate for years and years and years... icon_rolleyes.gif I have a buttercream recipe that I give my students with various options -- meringue powder, hi ratio, new crisco etc. and the results of what happens when you use whatever variant. And, believe it or not, these things DO make a difference!! Then I tell them to go out and try it themselves and make it their own. icon_biggrin.gif

So...what's your thoughts on this debate about the merengue?

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #39 of 45

bobwonderbuns

Will you share the info you give your students? Sounds line VERY ineresting and worthwhile info that would be a great value to all of us.

Thanks

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:46pm
post #40 of 45

This is the buttercream recipe I give my students -- it's a great starter recipe. I encourage them to play with it and make it their own by making the batch and taking notes. My notes on it are at the bottom.

1 stick butter
1 1/2 Cups shortening
(up to) 3 TBSP water (I use 2 instead)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar (I always sift the dry ingredients together out of habit)
1 TBSP meringue powder

~ Now if I change the water to milk it crusts.
~ If I use 0-trans fat Crisco and water it does not crust
~ If I add meringue powder to this it does crust a little bit.
~ If I use hi-ratio shortening and water and meringue powder it crusts better.
~ If I use hi-ratio shortening, meringue powder and milk it gets a firmer crust on it (think gingerbread cookie frosting.)

Try it and see what works for you. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

So...what's your thoughts on this debate about the merengue?

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

My own thoughts are that it does help buttercream crust. I've made enough frosting in my lifetime to see the difference and it's something I'm comfortable using. If others are not that's fine. (No need to get militant about it, ya know?) icon_lol.gif

Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #42 of 45

bobwonderbuns

THANKS A MILLION for the info. This is such great information I can't thank you enough for your generosity and willingness to share with us!!

Peridot

Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #43 of 45

bobwonderbuns...

Question - when you switch from Crisco (0 trans fat) to HiRatio how much do you use? I guess I don't have a clue since my first batch with HiRatio & Crisco was a failure.

Since I have meringue powder I am going to add that to my BC next time as I want it to crust more. And I certianly agree I would think you would know from all your experience.

Thanks again.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #44 of 45

Thanks Peridot! I'm always happy to help if I can. When it comes to hi-ratio shortening, I use the same amount as Crisco. Now I have heard recently to use less but I haven't tried that so I cannot comment on it.

Yes, I'm comfortable with my experience. I know that for whatever reason some do get rather militant on this issue but I say "come on folks, it's sugar already! No need to get your knickers in a knot!" icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #45 of 45

If you'd like more info on hi-ratio shortening and some tried and true hi-ratio American b/c recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

HTH

P.S. I also tried using hi-ratio in Crisco recipes 1:1 and it was overkill - way too rich (although not at all greasy). I would also recommend 2/3:1 cup substitution... But I found that hi-ratio recipes are the best and easiest - no tweaking necessary!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%