Insulted!!

Decorating By Tog Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm by JanH

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #31 of 88

Ummm...OK, I did not read the responses.

So, my gorgeous peonie wedding cake? Didn't place. My awesome Charlotte's Bedding Cake with the owls on top? Didn't place. My beautiful french hat box cat? Got 2nd place.

Now all three of those cakes are awesome. This is just the way competitions go.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #32 of 88

Don't be scared to post, that's a little dramatic. What, are you using your real name? Afraid some one is going to start a new thread titled "GUESS WHAT THAT DUMMY DUMB DUMB HEAD ASKED???" icon_smile.gif

Come on. It's the internet. An extra layer of thick skin should suffice, and the ability to ignore posts that raise your hackles. There is so much good stuff in here, and like anything anywhere...some bad sprinkled in. Ignore it.

cc57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cc57 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

mensch i am hoping there was some words left out or errors in typing in regards to your reply.....i have said it before....sometimes you want to ask advice or a question and the fear of getting the response you gave keeps me from doing it.... so sad icon_sad.gif

I agree. I am fairly new to this site and I am addicted. There are so many people of here that are so knowledgeable and experienced. They give wonderful and kind comments, advice etc. There is a HUGE variety of levels of decorators on here. From those of you who amaze us all everyday to those who have never decorated a cake and are just curious. This is an amazing site. I am on the forums reading all the time but I rarely post because I am scared of what someone might say to me. I sometimes have a question that may seem ridiculous to someone more experienced but it isn't a dumb question if I don't know the answer. I still won't usually ask. I realize when you post you open it up to opinions you may not agree with but opinions are different than insults Queenfa was giving a fellow cc-er praise and encouragement when she needed it. I thought this site was for sharing ideas, not tearing someone else down. icon_sad.gif

I have to agree with Sweet thing, I am newish to this site and though I love it for the wealth of info and help on offer here it has become a source of some kind of sick entertainment. Every time I log on here I see some snotty comments by (I assume) adults that should have grown out of school yard bitchiness. Just my humble opinion.

cc57 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #34 of 88

Tog, great cake by the way.

Sorry about the repeat posts cont know what happened there.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Ummm...OK, I did not read the responses.

So, my gorgeous peonie wedding cake? Didn't place. My awesome Charlotte's Bedding Cake with the owls on top? Didn't place. My beautiful french hat box cat? Got 2nd place.

Now all three of those cakes are awesome. This is just the way competitions go.

Yes there are. icon_confused.gif That sucks!

cc57 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #36 of 88

Tog, great cake by the way.

Sorry about the repeat posts cont know what happened there.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #37 of 88

I meant, yes they are Summer, your cakes. Musta been some crazy cakes that beat you out!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #38 of 88

That has happened to my sister several times.......
with cakes, crocheted afghans, vegetables, chickens......you name it. She usually enters an item in several categories and her work is lovely. There are these "levels" though, on the judges sheets and if you don't achive these "levels" to the satisfaction of the judges, then you can't have first place, even if you are the only entrant. Sometimes, there is only 1 judge as well......so it is all up to the biases and preferences of a single person.
Don't sweat it. Your cake is lovely.

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #39 of 88

I'm so sorry - that stinks. Your cake is beautiful!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #40 of 88

I would give you a a blue ribbon. Beautiful cake

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #41 of 88

summernolle, I cannot believe your french hatbox cake only got 2nd. that is insane! the techniques and style reflect a lot of work and skill thumbs_up.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #42 of 88

Your cake is absolutely beautiful! That same thing happens at our county fair and I've seen some bad work get blue ribbons and even honors or champion, but the good work is rewarded a lower ribbon. Last year I could have sworn the judges had a bias against fondant.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #43 of 88

How much experience have the judges had and are they up to date on what is happening in the cake world? Maybe you should be the judge next time! Cake decorating as we knew it has really exploded in the last few years. So many more options and medium to use.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:36am
post #44 of 88

Some small town folk have small minds to match ... and the jealousy factor is huge!
Be proud of your cake, it's gorgeous

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:47am
post #45 of 88

Aw geez.

All these different interpretations of why I wrote what I did, and naturally every last one is right (insert sarcastic emoticon here).

Of course I have nothing against you personally, queenfa, having never met you and having never noticed any other posts by you here on CC.

I was basically speaking out against the phenomenon that seems to be increasing intensity here on CC, that of the sense of ENTITLEMENT that so many people seem to have. I see it everywhere here. I look at the galleries, and in the comments sections of way too many cakes there are demands for complete instructions and step-by-step tutorials and film clips on Youtube, etc.

Not everyone has the time (or inclination) to write down every last little thing they did when working on a cake, or take photos every step of the way. Not everyone wants to share their secrets with thousands of other people.

And, in response to your sarcastic comments about my posted cakes, there are none. I have not posted any cakes. I read the Cake Central Terms very thoroughly before I joined.

icing77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing77 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:12am
post #46 of 88

WOW...that cake is absolutly beautiful!!!! I can definitely understand your fustration; but you know what you did a great job on every detail on that cake. Be proud!!!

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:53am
post #47 of 88

very pretty cake. I would love to see what got first lol.

What is the new thing here on CC a bunch of new members join and jump in a thread to start trouble?? Trolls every forum has them just ignore them they will get bored and leave. icon_lol.gif

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #48 of 88

then mensch, my question to you is why are you here....why isnt your work out there to be helpful and yes be judged...like the rest of us...why sould we even value your input at all when you dont care enough to display your works of art and share with us....and i thought that is what this site is all about....how you accomplished most difficult requests....i dont live in your area....i wont take away your customers and i will credit you if i ever use anything useful that you post....bottom line...you have no right to be taken seriously if you dont put yourself out there so others can see and appreciate and /or offer suggestions...just as you did

Mensch Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:02pm
post #49 of 88

Grandmaruth,

Thanks for your concern, but it's a shame you didn't take the time to throughly read my previous post before you posted.

Like I wrote, I won't post my work on CC because I read the Cake Central Terms very thoroughly when I joined as a member. All of my pics of cakes do get posted on my website when I update every Sunday. I am not afraid of being judged, as I am confident that my work is up to par.

I didn't offer any suggestions to the OP... I think the cake is fantastic! I'm merely reacting, as I wrote in my previous post, to the fact that so many people DEMAND tutorials and step-by-step instructions (with photos). many people (myself included) haven't the time to write down every little detail of what they do when working on a cool cake, and many people don't have time to photograph every step of the way and then edit and download onto youtube

I do help, and I do share. I give advice when needed, and my opinion when asked. Just because one doesn't post every picture of every cake one has ever done doesn't meant that one should automatically be discredited as a community member.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #50 of 88

wow mensch...you are a piece of work....duh..i did read your post "thoroughly"...it took a while looking up each word to see what they meant.... icon_lol.gif believe me anything "mensch" will bring up a red flag...and a reminder to never ask you for information or help....there are so few perfect people around....we are blessed

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #51 of 88

I have entered two County Fair competitions, and I will not enter another... Not because I am a "sore looser", but by the time I pay the entry fee, and all the expenses of the cake, only to lose, it just isn't worth it..... There is only ONE judge, and she is there from 8:00 AM until 6:00 Pm...... the decorated cakes come in around 1:00...... she is already tired and brain addled..... My first year, was my carousel cake..... I had working lights, and it rotated. It had nearly a thousand flowers on it.... People were taking pictures of it, etc...... I DID get a blue ribbon, but not the "over all".... The over all was a beginner doll cake, done in the star tip... When I questioned the judging, they said "probably because you didn't give a good enough description"......... Uhhh...... okay.......
Carousel...... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=855143

Second year I did the hatbox cake....... same thing...... lost to a two tier plain cake with dots and splashes of roses...... answer when I once again questioned the judging....." Doesn't fondant taste kind of bad?"...... these cakes are not tasted..... they are dummy cakes ......
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1248937

Moral of the story..... if there is ONE judge, and she doesn't like fondant, you are screwed ! icon_lol.gif

Mensch Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:35pm
post #52 of 88

Wow, grama-j, that hatbox cake is fantastic. What a silly reason the judge gave too... 'doesn't fondant kind of taste bad?' Ugh. Some people.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #53 of 88

"Wow, grama-j, that hatbox cake is fantastic."

Thanks ! Now all I have to do is convince that pesky judge ! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Jubilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jubilee Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #54 of 88

Tog and Grama-J your cakes are beautiful. I hear stories of the pettiness of the fair frequently.
The court system is the same way in small towns. Keep up the great work.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #55 of 88

I think you guys are being hard on mensch. You may not have like the way she phrased it but in view of her add'l posts, she makes a good point.

I, too, am often puzzled by the many requests that just assume (!) I, or any caker, writes, records or otherwise documents every step of every cake they do.

Just for the record, I never even sketch my cakes. I don't read directions on how to make a cake. I don't write down how I make the cake. I look at a cake, I figure out what needs done, and I do it. This is how I've done it since day one, since I started doing cakes 30 years ago. THere was no internet, no you-tube, no cake shows. All we had was a picture of a cake in a magazine and our ability to "figure it out".

The only reason I've taken any step-by-step photos is for a project I'm working on, or because it's already been a common question on this site .... so if I have a cake coming up, I'll take pics to answer the question and show folks what I mean. But it's not so I can "remember" how I made the cake.

I think I've proven that I'm more than willing to help anyone who asks for or needs help, so I don't think there is any way this can be misinterpreted as any kind of stance on the side of anti-helpful-to-newbies.

Maybe its an age difference. I haven't grown up in the easy access to internet where you can find step by steps to everything. Maybe that's why I don't just assume it's always available. Maybe that's why I never assume it's even an option. Because I grew up in the "figure it out" era.

ANd I think mensch WAS helping that person out by ASKING "why do you need instructions?" It's like when your parent or your teacher wont' GIVE you the answer and makes you "look it up". You learn it better thru trial and error and when you do it yourself as opposed to someone just handing you the answer.

Just my two cents worth ....

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #56 of 88

I think the chicka who referred to posting a how to, didn't really mean it like "post the instructions". More like a compliment, that she thinks it was so well done. I dunno.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I think you guys are being hard on mensch. You may not have like the way she phrased it but in view of her add'l posts, she makes a good point.

I, too, am often puzzled by the many requests that just assume (!) I, or any caker, writes, records or otherwise documents every step of every cake they do.

Just for the record, I never even sketch my cakes. I don't read directions on how to make a cake. I don't write down how I make the cake. I look at a cake, I figure out what needs done, and I do it. This is how I've done it since day one, since I started doing cakes 30 years ago. THere was no internet, no you-tube, no cake shows. All we had was a picture of a cake in a magazine and our ability to "figure it out".

The only reason I've taken any step-by-step photos is for a project I'm working on, or because it's already been a common question on this site .... so if I have a cake coming up, I'll take pics to answer the question and show folks what I mean. But it's not so I can "remember" how I made the cake.

I think I've proven that I'm more than willing to help anyone who asks for or needs help, so I don't think there is any way this can be misinterpreted as any kind of stance on the side of anti-helpful-to-newbies.

Maybe its an age difference. I haven't grown up in the easy access to internet where you can find step by steps to everything. Maybe that's why I don't just assume it's always available. Maybe that's why I never assume it's even an option. Because I grew up in the "figure it out" era.

ANd I think mensch WAS helping that person out by ASKING "why do you need instructions?" It's like when your parent or your teacher wont' GIVE you the answer and makes you "look it up". You learn it better thru trial and error and when you do it yourself as opposed to someone just handing you the answer.

Just my two cents worth ....

...and that is why YOU rock, my fine Indy friend!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #58 of 88

This thread has made me finally say it out loud..."CC has become so less fun!!" icon_cry.gif The comment about 'how did you do the cake' was a compliment, not an entitlement nor a demand. No reason at all to call down that post.
Wow........

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

This thread has made me finally say it out loud..."CC has become so less fun!!" icon_cry.gif The comment about 'how did you do the cake' was a compliment, not an entitlement nor a demand. No reason at all to call down that post.
Wow........

AMEN....It's just pixels people icon_smile.gif

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Grandmaruth,
I'm merely reacting, as I wrote in my previous post, to the fact that so many people DEMAND tutorials and step-by-step instructions (with photos). many people (myself included) haven't the time to write down every little detail of what they do when working on a cool cake, and many people don't have time to photograph every step of the way and then edit and download onto youtube

Shouldn't the choice "to give/not to give" instructions be left up to the one who made the cake?
As far as "being given answers" instead of "looking it up", isn't that whats being done? Just because one does not walk barefooted uphill bothways in the snow and driving rain to the library and dig threw drawers and drawes of card catalogs doesn't mean they are not "looking it up". It takes time to search these forums and read these posts. Most people who are beggining to learn don't have the privledge of spending the extra $$ for trial and error. I am sure they wouldn't mind the trial and error if they knew they were going in the right direction. And it's not like looking at a picture or reading a description is going to make the cake for you. You still have to do it and work thru any problems that might arise from change of climate.. etc...

I am personally thankful to everyone who has ever given me any help, directions, receipes, or pictures. I shows generosity and a good heart. And should anyone ever need anything from me I would be more than willing to help in anyway I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%